What cable for i2c outisde the case?

Hello,
My project involves i2c connection from one arduino (in soundbar) to second arduino (subwoofer amplifier).
Distance will be only around 1/2 meter.
I`m wondering what cable could I use?
CAT5 ethernet?
RS232?
DIN 4pin?

I would need 2 wires for i2c, gnd and 5v signal (digital pin output to digital pin input).

Thank you

Cat 5 would work, there are adapter boards available that will allow you to use Ethernet cable CAT 5 over long distances like maybe 30 meters. Since your design is not critical use try Ethernet CAT 5 then put each signal SDL and SDA in separate pairs with the wire that is not carrying the signal grounded. Example:
Red, SDA, Blue=SCL, The whites from each becomes Ground, the Brown and Green become 5V with there whites also grounded. This should work. P.S. You need to only ground one end of the shield wires on SCA and SCL.

gilshultz:
Cat 5 would work, there are adapter boards available that will allow you to use Ethernet cable CAT 5 over long distances like maybe 30 meters. Since your design is not critical use try Ethernet CAT 5 then put each signal SDL and SDA in separate pairs with the wire that is not carrying the signal grounded. Example:
Red, SDA, Blue=SCL, The whites from each becomes Ground, the Brown and Green become 5V with there whites also grounded. This should work.

Thank you, will do like that.

I went with CAT5 and rs232 connectors… I will post result when I get all parts and I can finish my project and test it…

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.