What can a flash memory IC be used for (and programmed)?

I got two ICs that are flash memory. I know that the arduino has flash memory built into it for storing the sketches written on it, but what could some extra flash memory be used for? I am actually working on a project right now that uses an atmega32 (32 kb of flash memory), but the way this sketch is going, I may need more memory to store it. Could I somehow link this IC to the arduino in order to get more programming space?

Yes, but it's not easy and you won't see a lot of examples on the web. The reason is that it's significantly easier to just buy a bigger processor - the Arduino Mega for example.

Look for tutorials on reducing memory usage. The chances are that your program doesn't actually need all that space.

Ok - thanks. Can I store anything else on the flash memory besides a sketch? Such as an audio file etc. I know that you can use an SD card with a shield, but is it feasible to do it with this ic?

Its a memory, you can store what you like on it! But what interface is the chip?

Yes, but you won't fit a lot of audio in 256K.

This kind of memory is often used for storing calibration constants and configuration parameters. However (most of) the Arduinos have EEPROM memory which is easier to use for storing just a few numbers.

Can I store anything else on the flash memory besides a sketch?

You sure can. All those devices about the size of your little finger that you stick in USB sockets on computers have flash memory in them.

You can put your music or your homework or your photos or your books or your programs or even your operating system on them.

michinyon: You sure can. All those devices about the size of your little finger that you stick in USB sockets on computers have flash memory in them.

You can put your music or your homework or your photos or your books or your programs or even your operating system on them.

He wouldn't get much of an OS on 32Kb.

electricviolin: Could I somehow link this IC to the arduino in order to get more programming space?

No.