What connector, plug, socket is recommended?

Hi,

I'm making a modular watering systems, that will have inputs from several pumps and moisture sensors. I want to be able to easily connect/disconnect the cables in case I need to rearrange things.

What connectors, plugs and sockets do you recommend? I will typically need 1 double connectors (2-wires) for each.

I have found these, but not really sure if this is the best choice.

I would prefer something that is as easy to pull in and out, like a jack 3.5 mm jack plug

Christian_83:
I would prefer something that is as easy to pull in and out, like a jack 3.5 mm jack plug

If that fits your needs, why don't you choose 3.5mm jack plugs?

lg, couka

A couple of important details you didn't mention (or at least consider) is do they need to be water proof? (are they being used outdoors?), do they need to support "hot plugging" where they are connected/disconnected under power and what power rating do they need to support. One of my favorite connectors for stuff is this one - probably overkill for your application, but one never knows (I use it for my battery connections)

The really cool thing about the Anderson Powerpole connectors (in all sizes, but the 30 amp are real nice) is they are polarized but both sides are the same and are good for all sorts of things (they are sort of the standard these days for emergency vehicle equipment from what many folks are saying) Take a look at the connectors on this page that are in the 15/30/45 amp range (I love these connectors)
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

Thanks for quick replies.

It will be small 12V pumps and moisture sensors running at 3-5 V. It do not require waterproofing.

Can I use a 3.5mm jack plug for 12 V 2 cables? didn't even think it was possible...

Would be good that it support "hot plugging" but don't think it is critical.

So basically I could buy a few of these.

Female 3 pin jack connector for PCB board: link

Though I only need 2 pins, they seem a bit more difficult to get and I guess 3 pin work as well, just don't use the last pin

Christian_83:
Can I use a 3.5mm jack plug for 12 V 2 cables? didn't even think it was possible...

Would be good that it support "hot plugging" but don't think it is critical.

Yes, of course you can. It's just a formed piece of metal and plastic :smiley: 12V is not critical, but what current has to flow?

What gpsmikey meant (I think) when he asked about "hotplugging" is: Is it a problem, if the contacts are shorted for a hort time when plugging/unplugging the connection?

Christian_83:
So basically I could buy a few of these.

Female 3 pin jack connector for PCB board: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-3-Pin-Panel-PCB-Female-3-5mm-Headphone-Jack-Audio-Connector-ET-/171992427005?hash=item280b8c29fd:g:4IMAAOSwu-BWPyRR

Yes. But don't plug any audio devices in :wink:

lg, couka

Hi

check this:

waterproof and hot-plug:

HID

or something like this_

LED

And as it was refereed check 1st for needed current ( amperage ) not only voltage.

couka:
Yes, of course you can. It's just a formed piece of metal and plastic :smiley: 12V is not critical, but what current has to flow?

The pumps are max 350mA

Arssant's last suggestion looked very good.

I was about to sugegst these:
but the price quoted there is absolutely outrageous!

arssant:
or something like this_

LED

+1, on my watch list now :slight_smile:

lg, couka

Paul__B:
Arssant's last suggestion looked very good.

[/quote]

Is 10A rated and 3 wires.

This one only 2 wire:

2 wire

Same 8A max 10A.

But for less than 500 mA.
I prefer the 1st option, easier to customize your own cable without solder.

For my outdoors connectors I use this:

aviation con

Plug and panel connector.

But Chinese metal... hum... don't know how long will survive to hight humidity/rain.

Yes, when I asked about “hot plugging” that is making/breaking the connection with power on. Generally safe with just two conductors, but if you have 3 or more, then you need to start being careful - gnd needs to be the first to connect, last to disconnect then you need to address if there is power or just sensor etc. on the other pins. Connecting (or disconnecting) things in the wrong order with the power on can let the magic smoke out of things.

if you need only 2 pins then why not the good ole DC jack (5.5x 2.1mm) ? it has a panel mount and pcb mount option too. :slight_smile:

or what about bullet connectors?

Noobian:
or what about bullet connectors?

These are XT60-connectors, bullet-connectors look like this:

lg, couka

oops.. my bad :grinning:

I think the 5.5mm DC jack is a good choice because it is quite popular, easily available, cheap and has all kinds of mount options.

arssant:
For my outdoors connectors I use this:
aviation con

I don't see the point.

That connector, commonly used on CB and commercial low-end comms radios, is 100% guaranteed not weatherproof!

Paul__B:
I don't see the point.

That connector, commonly used on CB and commercial low-end comms radios, is 100% guaranteed not weatherproof!

Some are.
My link was not the best one, but I use waterproofs ones.
Just ask for a waterproof aviation connector, you will find. You can get them in plastic other in metal.
I use metal ones with rubber O-ring inside and silicon rubber cable seals.

Ended up buying this 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack and socket.

Thanks for a lot of great ideas.

I liked HID and the 3.5 stereo headphone jacks the best. I'm trying the latter first.