What could this possibly be used for?

I purchased a couple of motors from MPJA (http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18310+MD) and was considering building a driving mechanism using these motors.

But after I received these, I found out that the large foam wheels are directly attached to the motor shaft and it barely has any torque at all. So my question is, what could these things be intended for originally?

Don't get me wrong, just the motor, switch and the filter caps are well worth a couple of bucks. I am just curious in case anyone happens to know...

Record turntable drive motor? Ok, that isn't really likely nowadays...

;)

Hmm... I doubt it has enough torque for that. The thing is, the wheels are made of foam so it seems to me that it was either meant for friction driving or something else...

Another thing is, the two wheels are not identical, one has a belt driving gear attached to the motor, and the other one doesn't...

hot wheels car launcher or similar. i had something like that as a kid, two wheels on the side, they spin up to speed and when the car hits them from both sides, shoooom. also very loud.

For separating paper in a printer?

hot wheels car launcher or similar

Aha… that does make sense!

So I guess I can scrap the idea of trying to use them for actual drive wheels given the torque issue… Oh well, I may use the housing and make a customized gear box out of it…

Or you could use it to fire marbles, etc.

Even better, put the marble gun on the robot you intended to make!

I'm also interested to get answer to this question.