What device/protocol is best for low-power wireless communication?

Hi, In my project, the user needs to be able to send 6 float and 5 int variables from a computer to my Arduino board when s/he desires to. The board and the computer will be less than 20 meters apart. (Probably just about 2-3 meters) The circuit may be moving while the data is still being sent over. My circuit will be running on batteries that are supposed to be lightweight and last long as well. The board has to respond to the user's prompts in real-time. Accuracy is also important. I have done some search, and it was suggested that I use Xbee devices, but I read that these devices draw about 15 mA which doesn't sound very promising. Are there more power-efficient methods that are reliable as well? Since my board is only receiving data, Is it possible to use only a receiver or would that cause errors? I currently don't have strict numbers for power consumption limit or how fast the communication has to be, as I'm just trying to find out what is practical.

Btw, it is my first time working with wireless communication, so thank you for being patient with me.

"the circuit has biomedical applications and an error may harm the patients body."

Is that for real?

The datasheet says you shouldn't do that without prior consent:

"SAFETY-CRITICAL, MILITARY, AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS DISCLAIMER: Atmel products are not designed for and will not be used in connection with any applications where the failure of such products would reasonably be expected to result in significant personal injury or death (“Safety-Critical Applications”) without an Atmel officer's specific written consent. Safety-Critical Applications include, without limitation, life support devices and systems, equipment or systems for the operation of nuclear facilities and weapons systems."

CrossRoads: "the circuit has biomedical applications and an error may harm the patients body."

Is that for real?

The datasheet says you shouldn't do that without prior consent:

"SAFETY-CRITICAL, MILITARY, AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS DISCLAIMER: Atmel products are not designed for and will not be used in connection with any applications where the failure of such products would reasonably be expected to result in significant personal injury or death (“Safety-Critical Applications”) without an Atmel officer's specific written consent. Safety-Critical Applications include, without limitation, life support devices and systems, equipment or systems for the operation of nuclear facilities and weapons systems."

At this point, it is for research purposes and not on patients. Anyways, that is not something I'm concerned with right now.

Mylaiza: it is my first time working with wireless communication, so thank you for being patient with me.

since the circuit has biomedical applications and an error may harm the patients body.

And you asking for free advice on this device, that could harm people, in a public forum ?

Employ a proper professional and accountable engineer.

srnet:
And you asking for free advice on this device, that could harm people, in a public forum ?

Employ a proper professional and accountable engineer.

This is something that has been assigned to me BY those professionals. It’s not going to be used on PEOPLE. It’s a student project and I’m trying to get to a starting point.

As a general rule power efficiency and radio communications dont go well together. In particular if radio receivers need to operate all the time for the purposes of receiving data at any time , then battery operation becomes a big problem and there are no real solutions. Transmitters are fine if operated off batteries provided they dont have to transmit very often.