What device should I use?

It is an optional function.

allanhurst: It's called a 2p c/o relay - does the same job as a switch when you energise the coil.

You need to drive it with a transistor/logic level mosfet - the arduino won't supply enough current

for further details etc....

regards

Allan.

I don't suppose you have a part number/wiring example?

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-DC-DPDT-DP-CO-MINTURE-RELAY-NEC-EC2-5NJ-/290860511571?hash=item43b8a33153:g:4UwAAMXQ82FRFnDO

rldrv.pdf (17.7 KB)

and use the enclosed drive circuit

regards

Allan

DudeMcLovin: It is an optional function.

This is as bad as pulling teeth.

Do you have the optional joystick module?

Do you want the Arduino to send a signal to the joystick module?

If not, what do you want the Arduino to send the signal to?

...R

Robin2: This is as bad as pulling teeth.

I'm sorry I can explain with a better choice of words, believe me I would if I knew :(

Robin2: Do you have the optional joystick module?

Yes!

Robin2: Do you want the Arduino to send a signal to the joystick module?

No, I don't want the Arduino to touch the joystick signal.

Robin2: If not, what do you want the Arduino to send the signal to?

To some kind of switch that allows me to reroute the joystick signal.

I am starting to believe that what I want is not possible, excuse the newbness!

allanhurst:
eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-DC-DPDT-DP-CO-MINTURE-RELAY-NEC-EC2-5NJ-/290860511571?hash=item43b8a33153:g:4UwAAMXQ82FRFnDO

rldrv.pdf (17.7 KB)

and use the enclosed drive circuit

regards

Allan

Hey Allan, I didn’t see your answer before, thanks a lot! What does 0 mean in the scheme?

DudeMcLovin:
I’m sorry I can explain with a better choice of words, believe me I would if I knew

Maybe these diagrams will help to clarify things. Please don’t hesitate to say I I have things wrong.

I think this represents the existing situation
Joy-StepperA.jpg

My original notion was that you wanted to use an Arduino instead of the two joysticks - but still using the existing joystick module.
Joy-StepperB.jpg

Another option may be to have the Arduino talk directly to the Smoothieboard bypassing the joystick module. However I have not researched whether this is a practical option.
Joy-StepperC.jpg

Which (if any) of these represents what you have in your mind?

…R

Hey Robin2, thank you so much for taking the time to help! Actually, there is no physical joystick module, it is just a capability that you can enable or disable. The phisical joystick itself plugs straight to the smoothieboard. What I want to do to is take the output from the joystick (two signal wires) and split it into two, then plug them to the smoothieboard:

|500x214

Then When I press the pushbutton, it allows me to switch between "pair a" (pins 1.30 and 1.31) and "pair b" (pins 3.25 and 3.26):

|500x214

The black and white device the joystick is plugged to is what I'm looking for. The joystick signal should not touch the Arduino, Arduino should only be used to control what pair of pins on the smoothieboard the signal goes to.

I've been looking into various devices but I'm still not sure if I should go with a relay, some kind of shift register or maybe some magical device I still don't know of. I am still not sure I'm using the right choice of words here or if I make any sense at all, so please excuse any confusion derived from my question and thank you so much for taking the time to help.

With my limited knowledge I would say you don't need an arduino at all. You could use relays or maybe even transistors to switch the signals.

The '0' in my schematic refers to 0 volts - earth, or ground.

A

ps As per other posters, I'd say a length of twin with eg a pushbutton switch - latching or non latching - would be as good as an arduino to drive the relay- and rather simpler

DudeMcLovin: Actually, there is no physical joystick module, it is just a capability that you can enable or disable. The phisical joystick itself plugs straight to the smoothieboard.

Now we seem to be getting to the heart of the matter - but it has taken a long time.

A potentiometer has 3 connections - your diagrams only show two of them. Can you provide a link (and page reference if needed) to the documentation for connecting the potentiometers to the Smoothieboard.

I suspect you cannot simply switch the potentiometers as in your diagram (or as suggested by @BaconHero) because the smoothie board will need to have a valid input from both of them at all times.

It should be possible to use an Arduino to do what you want by getting it to control two digital potentiometers that are connected to the Smoothieboard in place of the manual potentiometers. You can use any of several method to tell the Arduino what values the digital potentiometers should be set at. Including your idea to use one potentiometer and a switch. When the switch is one way your potentiometer can signal to the Arduino to change the value on one digipot. When the switch is the other way it can vary the value for the other digipot while keeping the first one unchanged.

This is what I suggested in Reply #1

...R