What do I do to control 5 servos?

I am new to using motors so I'm not sure how to approach what I want to do. I would like to use 5 motors for a project and be able to control all of them simultaneously and separately. I have an Arduino Uno. The motors I plan to use are SG90 servo motors.

I understand the Arduino cannot supply enough power to 5 motors. Should my solution to that be use a shield, get multiple batteries for all of them, or use transistors.

Some shields I was looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/SunFounder-PCA9685-Channel-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B014KTSMLA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That PCA9685 breakout board can control up to 16 servos with a two-wire I2C interface.
It just needs servo power on the green connector.
Also available from Adafruit.

Cheaper clones on ebay.

The other one is just a "dumb" pin shield.
Leo..

Ok so I should use a shield? Also how would I use the green connector?

Wgesh8:
Ok so I should use a shield? Also how would I use the green connector?

That PCA9685 board is not a shield. It’s a breakout board.
It connects to an Arduino with four wires.
5volt (vcc), ground, I2C clock and I2C data.
All on one side of the board.
On the other side of the board are the same pins, so you can daisy-chain it to a second board.

Once you have soldered the pin headers to the board, you can just plug the servo connectors onto them.

The green connector is servo power.
Needs a power supply with the right voltage and current for the servos.
Leo…

Ok so I should use the PCA9685 board. Thanks for the help.

And in the abscence of definitive information budget 1+ amp per servo - many people come
a cropper over this and assume they can get away with less powerful supply.

So I would probably want to do something like the pic? With the PCA9685 board.

Did you see the Adafruit link in post#1
Click on the second small picture.
Leo..

ok, I get how it works now

Would I be able to just use the Arduino board for controlling the motors and have separate power supply for them?

Wgesh8:
Would I be able to just use the Arduino board for controlling the motors and have separate power supply for them?

You should call it servos, not motors.
This PCA9685 board can control servos, not drive motors.

Yes.
The servos are powered from a supply that is connected to the big power connector on that PCA9685 board.
The Arduino only sends control data to the PCA9685.
Leo..

Yes, and an easy way to do that is to use a “Sensor Shield” version that allows a separate power supply for the power pins. Example HERE: (Servos can plug directly on the 3-pin connectors)

Servos take a large current just as they start a move. You may help that in software by having a small delay between servo command changes.