What do you call

Ill try to explain this the best i can

So in different videos of projects people are able to change time on rtc's for example. By using buttons and rotary encoders. Then it would update to the lcd without having to re compile.

So if someone wanted to change other things. Like other numbers or values or what have you. In either a menu environment or settings kinfa thing. What would this be called? Im trying to learn to do it but i cant figure out the right question to ask to start finding answers

I would call it "configuration" and it usually involves storing the settings to the EEPROM so that the Arduino will remember what you set for the next time that it is powered on.

Maybe worth looking at finished projects in the Exhibition section that do what you want and have the source code available then you can check out how they did it and copy/adapt to your project.

Thats a good idea. But id rather learn exactly what its called.

So pretty much like being able to set a time on or time off . Using a physical button to modify the code?

jokefox:
But id rather learn exactly what its called.

It is not specifically called anything. It might be a barrier to you at the moment but it is not a specific thing.

All you are doing with the time is using buttons to generate a number and then writing that number to the registers in the real time clock module.

The basic technique is called a state change function where you detect when a button becomes pressed as opposed to just checking to see if it is currently being held down.

For an example look at the state change sketch in the examples section of the IDE. That counts the number of times a button is pressed and holds that value in a variable.

It's called setting things. Or perhaps it's called taking inputs and using them to set things.

But if you want help with "it" it's better to describe some specific thing that you are trying to achieve rather than hoping that there is one agreed generic name that will fit everything you might want to do. There isn't. We just aren't that organised.

Steve

"It" is called a User Interface or UI. Often we use that term to describe a complex set of screens, menus & controls for a PC or phone app. But it also applies to something as simple as a 4-digit led display and a couple of buttons.

Through the UI, the user can change settings which alter the way the code behaves. But this does not change the code itself.

jokefox:
Ill try to explain this the best i can

So in different videos of projects people are able to change time on rtc's for example. By using buttons and rotary encoders. Then it would update to the lcd without having to re compile.

So if someone wanted to change other things. Like other numbers or values or what have you. In either a menu environment or settings kinfa thing. What would this be called? Im trying to learn to do it but i cant figure out the right question to ask to start finding answers

As @MorganS said it is called configuration. As an example you might have a User Interface that you want to appear in different languages. You could have several copies of the program, one for each language. Or you could have one program which reads reads messages and responses written in different languages from a file. The user chooses or configures the program to use the language they want.