What do you use for proximity sensors?

I've just tried out the FC-51 proximity sensor for my project and found that it's range is really short - no more than an inch or two. I've got a separate thread going about that.

But, here. I wanted to ask - what does everyone else for their proximity sensors? I just want to detect the presence of a hand from 6-12 inches away. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Matt

elveax:
I've got a separate thread going about that.

Not sure if that's such a good idea, I think you can better keep it all in one place. Let the mods decide :slight_smile:

But, here. I wanted to ask - what does everyone else for their proximity sensors? I just want to detect the presence of a hand from 6-12 inches away. Suggestions?

6-12 inches - that's 15-30 cm.
Good range for either a sensitive capacitive sensor or an ultrasound sensor.

wvmarle:
Not sure if that's such a good idea

Why not? One thread's about how OP's having no success with a particular product and wants tech help on that; the other (this one) is asking for suggestions of other ways of doing what he wants to do.

kenwood120s:
Why not? One thread's about how OP's having no success with a particular product and wants tech help on that; the other (this one) is asking for suggestions of other ways of doing what he wants to do.

If you are a forum member searching for info on the subject, would you want all the posts in one thread?

If you are giving help, would you want to know what's already been covered?

Those are why the mods keep telling members to not cross-post on the subject, in this case proximity sensing.

@elveax

Capacitive sensing is not a narrow topic, capacitive touch is way easier than distance sensing for example.

Here's the Arduino Playground article (and library) that gets into what you want:
https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor?from=Main.CapSense

Also, google this: youtube arduino capacitive sense 3D

kenwood120s:

Thank you Kenwood - I agree, the threads both talk about sensors, but there's two distinctly different questions being asked. One is troubleshooting a setup I have right now, the other is asking in general what sort of sensors people use and like. That being said, I've gotten no answers on the former Q.

Anyways, I'd like to avoid capacitive if I can avoid it, because I don't want to just detect the presence of a hand, but other things as well. So, I'm still all ears if anyone else has any favorite options.

How about IR reflect sense? You will have to pulse the IR if other steady sources will intrude, same as a TV remote does.

There are cheap short range radar modules available.

Ultrasonic Ping sensors have been mentioned.

PIR sensors trigger on low IR like body heat, in a limited way.

Everything that has an electric field will sense through capacitance, not just body!

A more active method is inductive sensing, like theremin or metal detector.

Smart move is to not use just one kind of sensor and combine the data.