What driver to use with a 42BYGHW811

Hello everyone,

first post here :slight_smile:

So, my problem is that I have a Wantai 42BYGHW811 Stepper motor, but I don't seem to find any proper driver to couple with it.

I have used a A4988 driver, but probably burned it since it can provide only up to 2A, against the 2.5A rated on the stepper datasheet.

Anybody that used this EXACT stepper, hopefully with a working example?

Thanks!

Look for a stepper driver that can provide 4 amps or 5 amps to give you bit of headroom.

I think some of the drivers that use TB65xx or TB66xx chips can provide up to 4.5 amps and if so would probably be the cheapest option. Unfortunately once you get beyond about 1.8 amps (and a Pololu DRV8825 driver) the prices go up steeply.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Here's one candidate:
TB6600 driver
And another I've used often, though borderline for your motor:
TB6560

Thanks a lot guys!!

Just a doubt: I see that the stepper supply Voltage is not really important (but the Current is instead), but the TB6600 is rated for 9-42VDC, and my stepper is at 3.1V

I guess I'm going to burn the stepper, right?

skytwo:
but the TB6600 is rated for 9-42VDC, and my stepper is at 3.1V

I guess I'm going to burn the stepper, right?

No. Not at all, You can use any voltage in the range 9-42v as long as you set the current limit on the stepper driver to protect your motor - i.e. not more than 2.5 amps.

Higher voltages will give better torque at higher speeds.

...R

skytwo:
Thanks a lot guys!!

Just a doubt: I see that the stepper supply Voltage is not really important (but the Current is instead), but the TB6600 is rated for 9-42VDC, and my stepper is at 3.1V

I guess I’m going to burn the stepper, right?

Not at all, steppers don’t have a voltage rating (other than insulation breakdown), only a current rating.
The stepper driver controls the motor current, all is well.

The key electrical characteristics of a stepper are current, resistance and inductance, and its the inductance
that dominates. Lower inductance mean higher speeds are possible from a given supply voltage. The driver
must be set to match the nominal current (or somewhat lower if you don’t need full torque rating). The driver
relies on the winding inductance to function, note, never attach a stepper driver to a dummy resistive load, you
will probably fry it, and never disconnect the motor windings from a powered-up driver either.