What else can use unmolested Uno scripts?

Hello all. I am afraid to ask this simple question, but, I have spent 2 whole days just trying to get a clock to work, only to find ot I did not have my folders listed in the properties correctly. Ugh..........!!! Now I am out of proverbial breath and looking for an answer to this question.

If I program an Uno to do...... whatever, what other units can I just carry the program over to without having to change "anything" in the code? Well, except for maybe pin changes at the most.

All units that use the same (328) chip. Sometimes units that use a 168 chip, depends on how large your sketch is. Nano and pro mini are the ones i've used so far, and sometimes i tried this. Oh, and a duemilanova. Of course you still need to tell the IDE what board u are using.

If I decide to go to a MEGA, what all is involved in changing the coding? Say, for a clock as an example? Just the basic readers digest version, please :)

A clock being what exactly? If you are using any libraries read the comments in the library sources about which boards are supported. The Arduino system is designed to be portable where its sensible to be so. The Mega and Uno are strongly related so portability is good, but for instance the Due is different architecture and many differences can't be hidden easily.

What's this about the folders?

1ArduinoFan: If I decide to go to a MEGA, what all is involved in changing the coding? Say, for a clock as an example? Just the basic readers digest version, please :)

The only difference I found between the Mega and Uno is that the analog pins (A0 - A5) on the Uno can be addressed as pins 14 - 19, but on the Mega have different numbers. You can still address them as A0 - A5 on the Mega, but not as 14 - 19. Apart from that, I've found no difficulty in moving sketches from the Uno to Mega.

The Arduino is a great system for learning by doing.

Write your Uno code and test it.

When it is working select another board in the Arduino IDE and try to compile (verify) it. It will quickly tell you if there are problems.

Usually code can transfer to other Boards as long as it does not try to use features that aren’t available. For example there are 4 hardware serial ports on a Mega but an Uno has only one.

…R

MarkT:
A clock being what exactly?
What’s this about the folders?

Just a regular time clock to be shown on a 20x4 LCD

Missing library folders in the library I was trying to clean up as I heard there could be issues with like libraries, and, not listed in the script/sketch properly at the top, i.e. <#include>

Robin2:
The Arduino is a great system for learning by doing.

Write your Uno code and test it.

When it is working select another board in the Arduino IDE and try to compile (verify) it. It will quickly tell you if there are problems.

Usually code can transfer to other Boards as long as it does not try to use features that aren’t available. For example there are 4 hardware serial ports on a Mega but an Uno has only one.

…R

If thats an option to use, I will def try that, thanks.