What error is this and why this fault is happenning??

Hello All and specially Nick Gemon,

I am working on ATmega2560 and I have burn bootloader into mega2560 micro using Arduino as ISP and it is successfully burnt. Now I do not know how to check it is installed correctly or not?

I have loaded the Blink sketch into IDE and then I press the upload, it gives the following error :

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

then I googled it and I found that it is due to bootloader problem. Then I got the attached file which has .hex files of bootloader and other is the AVR programmer.ino files. So I loaded the .ino file and clicked verify button and I got the following error :

bootloader_2560:6: error: variable 'atmega2560_v2' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of 'attribute((progmem))'
variable 'atmega2560_v2' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of 'attribute((progmem))'

What is this error and why it is happening? Please help me to solve this issue.

I am using Arduino Duemilanouve as a programmer by loading Arduino ISP sketch and then to load the blink sketch into ATmega2560, I have selected Mega2560 as a board, correct com port, Arduino as ISP programmer and still I am getting Timeout error.

In AVRDUDE GUI, I am getting application timeout error. So I am screwed from everywhere and I can not load the bootloader into my micro. Please suggest some help.

I am really frustrated.

then I googled it and I found that it is due to bootloader problem.

Nonsense. That particular possibility is WAY down on the list. The usual problems are that you have the wrong port selected or that you haven't installed the drivers.

Everything is perfect. When I attach the standalone ATmega2560 to the Arduino ISP, then it creates problem. But as only Arduino Duemilanouve, it works fine with no change of ports and anything else. So it is the problem of something else.

Can you provide the compiled file for this one code?

I am not able to compile this. It gives the following error :

bootloader_2560:6: error: variable 'atmega2560_v2' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of 'attribute((progmem))'
variable 'atmega2560_v2' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of 'attribute((progmem))'

This is the bootloader file and I need the .hex file compiled and generated from Arduino IDE because my USBasp accept the intel HEX file. So I need its compiled hex file of this sketch.

Atmega_Board_Programmer.ino (20.8 KB)

Sounds like using out of date version of the source to the bootloader. The more recent
avr-gcc compiler enforces PROGMEM variables being declared const. You can either
fix the source yourself of find a more recent version.

Ok. What I have to do for compiling the code? Any suggestions and guidelines?

The .hex code of the bootloader is in the IDE download. The thing you downloaded to run the Arduino IDE. Look for the folder "bootloaders".

You can use my chip signature detector to verify the bootloader is installed.

You can use my bootloader installer to reinstall it.

Where are these 2 programs located? I am not able to find anything from here. I am not getting anything properly. Its confusing a lot.

I am a newbie in Arduino and I am a hardware expert not a software expert. So kindly guide correctly.

This all things confuding me a lot and I am destructing my knowledge too so show me an easy way.

The easy way is to follow the links I provided. I'm not sure I can help if you are unable to do that.

What is MD5? Is this a software? I have Mushclient. I have installed it. Then later I can not find anything like bootloader installer and Chip signature detector softwares.

You don't need MD5 or MUSHclient to check your bootloader or upload a new one. It is already there.