What exactly do I need to buy to create this?

Hi all.

Im a computer scientist, and I dont know much about hardware and stuff hehe But I need to create a little"simple" project. All I have to do is get a few distance sensors and send this informations to the computer. A Flash program will use this informations (but thats another story).

What will I need for this project? Since I live in Brazil, I want to buy evertything at once.

I will probably buy:

• Arduino (wich one is recomend for this stuff? Ill need like 5 ultrasonic distance sensors).
  • ultrasonic sensors
  • a 9v adapter
  • breadboard

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot!

This is probably a no brainer, but make sure you get the USB cable needed to connect up the Arduino if you don’t happen to have one lying around. It’s easy to forget the simple stuff sometimes :wink:

I’m fairly new to this, but I enjoy the Diecimila [sp?] and the documentation for it is quite thorough, but I don’t have enough experience with other Arduino variants to know much about them. So I can’t comment on their documentation or setup. What kind of distances are you dealing with? IR sensors may be a cheaper solution, Sharp makes a good one, but your distance measurements typically need to fall into a range (10-80cm for the Sharp Sensor I’m thinking of) in order for them to be calculated properly. If you’re looking at ultrasonic, I have received a ping))) sensor from parallax that I like a lot. It’s easy to use and well documented, but it costs about $30. However if you’re new to all this stuff, it seems worth it to me to purchase a sensor that is highly documented. Also, the arduino website uses the ping))) sensor in one of its ultrasonic tutorials, so the sketch should already be available for download.

Also, will you be connected to the computer all time? If not, you may want to consider incorporating some kind of LCD display for quick debugging/ output checking. That way you won’t have to interface with the computer every time you want to check output or something.

These are just a couple of suggestions from someone that’s relatively new to all this. I’m sure there are many much (much) more experienced people here that can give better advice.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I need a sensor that can get more than just 80cm, so Ill stay with the ultrasonic stuff (I will need at least 1m od distance, but the more, the better!).

The hardware will stay connected all the time, but I´ll get a LCD just for fun anyway :wink:

Any more tips?