What happens when you hookup a 16bit analog device to a 10bit adc

Can someone explain what happens when you hook up a 16bit analog device to a 10bit ADC (like the one on the Arduino).Will it still function?Will the 10bit ADC normalize the values with a lower resolution?

Also how would i go by interfacing 16bit analog device to the Arduino.

thanks in advance.

note: sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, i wasnt sure what area to post this question

Can you give more information about the device ? type ? datasheet? as I do not understand the question completely

The Arduino can read a voltage between 0..5 volt (or lower if AREF is used) . Does the 16 bit device generate this 0..5 V?

Rob

Hi
here is the datasheet of the sensor.

The device gives out a current on its analog out pin between 0-25ma in relation to how far the object is from the sensor.The voltage on the analog output on the sensor is proportional to the in vcc voltage on the sensor(12-24volts).When i run the sensor at 12 volts, The voltage on the analog output is 10.2 volts.

An analog device cannot be “16 bit”. Only digital devices can be “16 bit” or “12 bit”, etc. An analog device simply outputs a variable voltage or current.

It looks like they use a digital control that is 16bit over a Transistor to get an analog output. It is basically just a 4-20ma output.

Interfaces
In- and outputs: PNP
Analog current outputs (max. load): 1 x 4 … 20 mA (? 300 ?)
Resolution analog outputs: 16 Bit
Switching outputs (max. output current): 1x (100 mA / High = Us -(< 2 V), Low = 0 V)
Teach inputs: 1x (High = Us, Low = ? 2.8 V) 1)
Trigger inputs: 1x (High = Us, Low = ? 2.8 V) 2)

1. Response time ? 3 ms