What hardware is required?!?

Hello,

I require to move a dummy head (shouldn't weigh more than 1kg), one motor would make it rotate(this rotation should be at least 170degs in either direction from start point) and the other would tilt it(doesn't have to tilt too far, 20deg either way should be fine). What kind of motors/servos are best to do this silently?

Also what boards should I look at? Currently I am looking at the Arduino SD Shield (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-A000065-Wireless-SD-Shield/dp/B0084ZOO6Y/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373289185&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=arduino+SD+shield+wireless) and getting two of those and connecting the buttons to control everthing on one and then the motors on the other.

I guess I would have to get a power source too or could I just plug it into the mains? Do I need any other boards and little things that I haven't even mentioned? (assume that if I haven't mentioned it that I don't know that I need to get it!!)

Thanks! :smiley:

You do not give enough information on the mechanical construction. The "head" is attached to some sort of platform which must be attached to 2 motors thru suitable gearing. The Arduino requirements depend heavily on the mechanical design.

Generally servos are easiest to implement, but 170+170 = 340 degrees. Most servos do not travel that far.

You'll also have to define "silent", no motors are silent.

The head will be attached to a mechanism that will allow it to move in both those directions. And I know that the word 'silent' technically wrong but pretty quiet would be fine.

id suggest there are three parts to this.

a) mechanics. How to mount the object so it can move as you require.

b) electrical, which sort of motors you need

c) programming / Arduino,

You don't say whether the head will move about its centre of gravity in both axes - in which case there would be very little force on the motors/servos unless it needs to move quickly. On the other hand if you have a 1Kg mass hanging on the end of a lever you will need something powerful.

You can get servos that move through most of 360 deg and because Arduino makes using servos so easy they may be worth the extra cost compared with a more complex motor drive. And if the loading is suitable you could perhaps use gears to increase the range of movement from a 180 degree servo.

...R