What if I set nRF power to MIN?

In the code, one can tell the nrf to be low power. If i use this function is it possible that I won't require decoupling capacitors to operate them with a Nano?

I have had issues operating them with my Nano, spurious results on my Uno, and I would love to test but I don't want to break my boards.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Starting off with low power is always good to be sure everything (even Code) is working.

See THIS POST for more information.

JeromeAriola: In the code, one can tell the nrf to be low power. If i use this function is it possible that I won't require decoupling capacitors to operate them with a Nano?

Are you referring to the 10µF capacitor across Vcc and GND for the nRF24?

My advice is always to use one.

You may find that the Nano cannot produce enough 3.3v power for an nRF24 and you may get better results with a separate 3.3v supply. You could test that by powering the nRF24 from a pair of AA alkaline cells. Make sure to connect the battery GND to the Arduino GND.

...R

If I had a capacitor connected to the radio, I can hook it up to 3v3 and it will work fine?

JeromeAriola:
If I had a capacitor connected to the radio, I can hook it up to 3v3 and it will work fine?

What 3.3v? You need to provide more information. A diagram (not Fritzing, please) showing all your connections would be a good idea.

I have been assuming you are already connecting to the 3.3v pin on your Nano.

…R

3.3v from the nano, of course

What I meant was since there is already a capacitor connected to the radio, I can safely connect the radio to the Arduino nano without failure or lack of current to th the radio.

JeromeAriola: 3.3v from the nano, of course

What I meant was since there is already a capacitor connected to the radio, I can safely connect the radio to the Arduino nano without failure or lack of current to th the radio.

Didn't you read the last paragraph of my Reply #2, in which I said the Nano's 3.3v supply may not be sufficient?

...R

Even with a cap on the radio? I thought that was the purpose for adding decoupling capacitors on Vcc and gnd?

I initially thought that with the capacitors, I can power the radios with the Nano or Uno. I also knew that without the caps, nRFs wont work.

Even with a cap on the radio? I thought that was the purpose for adding decoupling capacitors on Vcc and gnd?

The cap is good for a fraction of a second to help with quick current surges.

But you need long-term adequate current from some 3.3V supply.

Thanks everyone!

You need the capacitor and an adequate 3.3v supply. My offical Unos and Mega will power an nRF24 from the 3.3v pin but my Mega clone will not. I don't have any Nanos.

...R