What is a good mosfet to use with arduino pro mini

Hello all.

I was woundering if someone could point me in the right direction for choosing a mosfet, preferably n channel type to switch a string of white leds with a load of 12 volts 5 amps.

Thanks, Derek Welch

Hi, I like this one:

RFP30N06LE Power NFET (Low-Side power switching transistor) HERE Follow the link to examples...

This is used in thousands of Arduino kits. It also has ESD protection which is good for handling on the desk etc..

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

Perfect! Thank you sir.

Derek Welch

The ESD protection is probably quite an underrated feature for hobbbyist use. MOSFET gets are very delicate and can easily be destroyed by a static shock, even one that is too weak for you to feel.

If you’re not afraid of SMD parts (small change of that, I think), I’m partial to the DMG6968 from Diodes, Inc, especially for low voltage use. It’s characterized down to 1.5V gate voltage, so it’ll be much better if you ever need something to use around 3V or so.

It’s P-channel brother is DMG3415.

DMG6968 - N-Channel MOSFET.pdf (184 KB)

One I like to use is IRF7313 :slight_smile:

An although mosfet gates :wink: are indeed sensitive I never managed to blow one. No, I’m not wearing wool socks but not wearing anti-ESD either (at least not in my hobby lab).

Over the years I've used loads of semiconductors on the bench, and almost all have warnings about sensitivity to static discharge - 'use grounded wriststraps ' etc. Unless you're in a highly static generating environment - very dry air , fluffy carpets etc - which is uncommon in England, it's not a problem.

I've not blown anything up yet.

The only devices I've found which are really sensitive are GaAs RF chips - they ARE easy to break. And are expensive.

Allan

Its possible in low voltage circuits to damage a MOSFET gate without completely blowing the device, leaving it with noticeably increased leakage currents (between gate and source/drain or between source/drain).

Many people may not realize that any good insulator (ie plastics) have high static charge all over their surfaces, 100's to 1000's of volts that you would never notice without an electrostatic field meter. Wood, skin, cotton are all poor insulators and can't hold a static charge, so are best to have around for electronics. High humidity reduces static a lot as surfaces become covered in a monolayer of water molecules.

I ordered some RFP30N06LE logic level n-channel power fets. While I wait for them I am using a 2n2222 npn transister to switch a IRFZ44N n-channel power fet to controll the led strip. Just have to use what I have while I wait. Thanks for all the advice. I included a schematic showing how I have the two transiters wired.

Derek Welch

fet2_thumb.gif