What is clock rate of Arduino Tre ?

Hi, I'm new to Arduino. I'm doing some research to buy an appropriate Arduino for my project. I read the specification of Arduino Tre, and apparently there are two different information about the clock rate. One is 16MHz and the other one is 1GHz. I'm confused, what are these two clock rates and which one determine the executing time of an instruction.

For Arduino Due, it has clock rate 80Mhz. So compare to Arduino Tre, which one is faster in term of speed and execution time ?

Thanks

As I understand it, the main processor is clocked at 1GHz, and the microcontroller at 16MHz.

bienle: Hi, I'm new to Arduino. I'm doing some research to buy an appropriate Arduino for my project. I read the specification of Arduino Tre, and apparently there are two different information about the clock rate. One is 16MHz and the other one is 1GHz. I'm confused, what are these two clock rates and which one determine the executing time of an instruction.

Arduino Tre has two processors.

Thanks for your information.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand, what is the microcontroller used for ? And what is the processor used for? When executing the code, which one will have the major influence to the executing time?

Thanks a lot.

bienle: Thanks for your information.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand, what is the microcontroller used for ? And what is the processor used for? When executing the code, which one will have the major influence to the executing time?

Two processors = two separate programs running.

[quote]I'm sorry but I don't really understand, what is the microcontroller used for ?

The things that the main processor isn't good at, like I/O.

And what is the processor used for?

The things that the microcontroller isn't good at, like number-crunching and memory-intensive stuff.

When executing the code, which one will have the major influence to the executing time?

Who can say?

bienle: I'm sorry but I don't really understand, what is the microcontroller used for ? And what is the processor used for?

In which case then this board is of absolutely no use to you. Stick to a normal Uno until you know what is going on.

Thanks. If I only want to read the analog voltage using analogRead(), then in this case Due (84Mhz) takes less time for analogRead() than Tre , right ?

Thank you.

bienle: If I only want to read the analog voltage using analogRead(), then in this case Due (84Mhz) takes less time for analogRead() than Tre , right ?

How many samples per second do you need?

...R

bienle: Thanks. If I only want to read the analog voltage using analogRead(), then in this case Due (84Mhz) takes less time for analogRead() than Tre , right ?

Is your question: "Which Arduino has the fastest Analog read?"

If not, what is it you really want to know?

bienle: Thanks. If I only want to read the analog voltage using analogRead(), then in this case Due (84Mhz) takes less time for analogRead() than Tre , right ?

Thank you.

Yes that is correct.

it's not really. Cause now I'm using DUE to capture an analog signal from a sensor by using analogRead() in a loop. But then, I also need to process the data and the time it takes for executing the code is quite big.

So, I want to have an Arduino which is fast enough to sampling the analog signal (about 6us for one analogRead() ), and also have a more powerful processor for processing the code. As fat as I know, currently DUE is the most powerful available ( I dont know if it's true). So I try to find an Arduino which can execute analogRead() as fast as DUE and execute other codes faster than DUE.

In a two processor system you also have to consider how long it will take to transfer your readings between processors. Can you read a 12 bit sample in 6uS on the Due?

bienle:

. I want to have an Arduino which is fast enough to sampling the analog signal (about 6us for one analogRead() )

Even an Arduino Uno can do that (if you access the ADC directly). The problem is passing it to another device.

bienle: and also have a more powerful processor for processing the code. As fat as I know, currently DUE is the most powerful available ( I dont know if it's true). So I try to find an Arduino which can execute analogRead() as fast as DUE and execute other codes faster than DUE.

A Tre might do that, but ... it's not available yet and they're not publishing much detailed information about how it works.

(As far as I know it's an Arduino Leonardo connected to the Sitara CPU via USB with the Sitara running Linux)

OTOH the Beaglebone Black is available today.

Cause now I'm using DUE to capture an analog signal from a sensor by using analogRead() in a loop.

But analogRead uses a busy-wait for the end of the conversion. If speed is a consideration, you'd be better off seeing if you can use this time, rather than simply looking for a faster chip.

bienle: Cause now I'm using DUE to capture an analog signal from a sensor by using analogRead() in a loop. But then, I also need to process the data and the time it takes for executing the code is quite big.

So, I want to have an Arduino which is fast enough to sampling the analog signal (about 6us for one analogRead() ), and also have a more powerful processor for processing the code. As fat as I know, currently DUE is the most powerful available ( I dont know if it's true). So I try to find an Arduino which can execute analogRead() as fast as DUE and execute other codes faster than DUE.

AGAIN - how many samples per second do you need?

I am rather sceptical about "the time it takes for executing the code is quite big".

...R

AWOL:

Cause now I'm using DUE to capture an analog signal from a sensor by using analogRead() in a loop.

But analogRead uses a busy-wait for the end of the conversion. If speed is a consideration, you'd be better off seeing if you can use this time, rather than simply looking for a faster chip.

Yep. The other option is code optimization.

analogRead() is probably sucking up half your CPU time (unnecessarily). .

fungus: Even an Arduino Uno can do that (if you access the ADC directly).

What utter rubbish.

Show me some Uno code that can sample at 166KHz!

Can you read a 12 bit sample in 6uS on the Due?

Yes it can.

I didn't know that. But anyway I'm using DUE to capture the signal now, and the time it takes to do analogRead() is fine for me. I'll see if I can still use that busy-wait time for something.