What is stopping my program???

Hi, new to Arduino, not to micros. Have new Arduino Duemilanove on PC: XP2, V17 software. Latest USB drivers.

Running first looping programs, fading 3-color LED.

Runs OK, BUT: Every 20 or 30 seconds, something stops the program, apparently does a reset, some Rx and Tx lights flash, then my program restarts. Even after closing the IDE, this continues to happen.

It seems like some 'monitor program' or something is communicating with the Arduino???

What is happening here? How can I get a program to run without external interruptions?

Thanks! Terry King In Vermont, next Middle East

What is happening here? How can I get a program to run without external interruptions?

What am I? Psychic? Show us the program.

This "Interruption" problem happens with ALL programs I have run, including the simplest BLINK. It's not code-specific... Thanks, Terry KIng

Also show us the wiring your using for your LED circuit, it could be a cause of drawing too much current and causing the chip to reset with falling Vcc voltage.

Lefty

Does it happen when you run the Arduino off an external supply, i.e , take USB out of the equation?

While the Sketch is running, open the Serial Monitor and leave it open. Leave the Sketch running a few minutes. Does the reset still occur?

While the Sketch is running, open the Serial Monitor and leave it open. Oohh.. That 'fixes' it..

What am I doing wrong, or weird, or what do I not understand!

• Will try later with separate power
  • LED in BLINK is the onboard LED..

Thanks for the help!

What am I doing wrong, or weird, or what do I not understand!

There is a program running on your computer that periodically probes all serial ports. When the serial port is opened, the Arduino resets. PDA tools seem to be the biggest culprit. Some things that may help...

• Disconnect (or connect) your PDA
  • Always use the Serial Monitor
  • Assign the Arduino to a higher numbered serial port
  • Identify the offending software and configure it to stop or remove it
  • Change the Arduino to not auto-reset

Please report back what you find.

There is a program running on your computer that periodically probes all serial ports.

Oh.. OK, that makes perfect sense! I couldn't figure WHAT could be talking to Arduino..

And starting the serial monitor opens and holds the port, right? So I guess the Arduino IDE loader opens the port, loads the program and closes the port. So the port can be opened/scanned by anyone else.

The computer in question is used by my Son's family and I'm teaching the Arduino stuff to my Grandchildren.. They have lots of other stuff running on it..

IsTHere a good way to get this answer into a FAQ or the Arduino docs?

Thanks for Thinking and Coding .. Well!

Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods in Vermont

And starting the serial monitor opens and holds the port, right?

Yes. The Serial Monitor opens the port for exclusive access. Nothing else can open the port while it's running.

So I guess the Arduino IDE loader opens the port, loads the program and closes the port.

Yes. This allows you to run something like Processing.

So the port can be opened/scanned by anyone else.

Yes.

IsTHere a good way to get this answer into a FAQ or the Arduino docs?

Please make the suggestion here... http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=swbugs

Hopefully, one of the kind helpful sysops will make the addition here... http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting

Or, you could create a Playground page to share your experience... http://www.arduino.cc/playground/

Thanks for Thinking and Coding .. Well!

You are welcome. I hope you and your Grandkids are having fun!