what is the arduino i have to use

Hello!

I am George and am in the middle of my degree dissertation. I want to make a dash panel in which i can take information from one motorcycle 600cc (tachometer, speedometer ,gear shift, battery volts,temperature etc) and how i can bring these in any output (screen or something else).

What arduino model i have to buy in order to bring in life the things i wrote you before?
Any information you can give to me it would be useful because i am in the start of working with these things.

Thank you so much and am looking forward for your answers,
George Christodoulou.

Everyone will tell you to get an Uno. Everyone except me. I would recommend a Nano for your first Arduino. I will explain why. Uno is great if you have one or more shields that you can stack on top of the Uno and which contain all the circuits you need. If there are no shields that do what you need, you will need to build a circuit prototype on a breadboard. Breadboards and Uno are not a good combination. That leads to messy wiring. If you make a mistake, no-one will be able to help you spot the error. But a Nano can plug into a breadboard, so you can keep your writing neat and make fewer mistakes.

Another option is a Pro Mini. That is slightly more complicated because you need a separate usb to serial adaptor. But the mini is smaller, cheaper and uses less power, and the usb adaptor can be used for future projects.

I’d say the Raspberry Pi will let you do more to wow a basic instructor

LabVIEW or Visual Basic.NET and DAQ (mccdaq.com)

You should get a Uno, and use it to go through as many of the example files as you can that apply to some aspect of your final project. Then, once you have a working knowledge of how to use Arduino technology, you will be able to determine the best hardware for yourself.

ChrisTenone:
...go through as many of the example files as you can that apply to some aspect of your final project.

Most of which show circuits set up on a breadboard. Very few if any involve shields. Nano wins.

ChrisTenone:
You should get a Uno, and use it to go through as many of the example files as you can that apply to some aspect of your final project. Then, once you have a working knowledge of how to use Arduino technology, you will be able to determine the best hardware for yourself.

I agree with PaulRB on this. My first arduino purchase was a pair of diecimila boards (which tells you when I started). I found it a horrible experience to try and do anything with them because the simplest thing turned into a rats nest very quickly.

I ended up buying a uDuino from another forum member back in the day; it is the same circuit as the diecimila but in a slightly longer, much narrower form factor that is designed to fit a breadboard. It has had a permanent home on one of my breadboards ever since and it's the first thing I pick up when prototyping anything. To this date, my second diecimila has never even been taken out of its original bag.

I bought one of adafruit's protoshields and mounted the micro breadboard on it, and it was helpful but still not very good compared to the small board mounted on a full size breadboard.

I would very strongly recommend anyone starting out buy a nano and install it in a full length breadboard especially to go through tutorials and examples.

The standard uno form factor is only good if you do want to use shields, but at this point form factors like adafruit's feather are a much more convenient size and have a fuller ecosystem.