What is the best way to control 6 stepper motor at once with Arduino Mega?

Hello,

I need to control 6 stepper motor at once,

My first question before starting: Is there any shied which can provide to drive 6 stepper at once?

According to my research there is no such items.

First i have decided to use Arduino Uno with ''Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3''

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438

Because this motor shield stockable so i can stock 3 of them on my Arduino Uno to drive 6 stepper motor at once.

But at the same time i need also connect MMA7361 accelerometer sensor but there is not any empty pin left because of my stepper shields.

Now my current idea is using Arduino Mega but i am not totaly sure if i can use this stockable motor shield and MMA7361 accelerometer on the same Arduino Mega?

Thank you very much for your support.

That motor shield is not really suitable for stepper motors. It cannot drive the motors with high voltages and it does not include the facility for microstepping.

You should get 6 proper stepper motor driver boards such as the Pololu A4988. Of course you need to be sure the stepper drivers can supply the current required by your motors.

Proper stepper motor drivers each require two control pins on the Arduino for step and direction signals.

Which brings me to the next points - what stepper motors are you proposing to use? (post a link to their datasheet) - what are you using them for? - and what, exactly, do you mean by controlling 6 motors at once?

I think you can get circuit boards that can take 4 x A4988 drivers but I have never heard of one that can take 6.

...R

Thank you for your answer,

Especaially for the information about adafruit motor shield.

My stepper motors are ''Stepper Motor, NEMA17, 12v0.3a'' which compatible with pololu A4988 actually.

http://www.pbclinear.com/Download/DataSheet/Stepper-Motor-Support-Document.pdf

Could i attach 6 polulu drivers on Arduino Mega?

-I will use steppers for my robotic application.

-I mean moving all steppers at the same time and controlling them with 1 board.

Quote from: Nsitu on Today at 17:32:44

My stepper motors are ''Stepper Motor, NEMA17, 12v0.3a'' which compatible with pololu A4988 actually.

http://www.pbclinear.com/Download/DataSheet/Stepper-Motor-Support-Document.pdf

That datasheet seems to say the motors require 2 amps. If so the Pololu DRV8825 would give a little more headroom.

Could i attach 6 polulu drivers on Arduino Mega?

You can connect them to the Mega but they won't simply plug in. That also applies to the DRV8825.

-I will use steppers for my robotic application.

-I mean moving all steppers at the same time and controlling them with 1 board.

This is probably easier than the closely coordinated movement that is required by computer controlled machine tools.

...R

Thanks,

I have currently 8 Polulu A4988 so isn't it possible to use them?

Nsitu:
I have currently 8 Polulu A4988 so isn’t it possible to use them?

If they have to work at 2 amps you will need to put heat sinks on them and maybe a cooling fan.

You could set the current limit on the A4988s to (say) 1.5 amps and see if the motors have enough torque at that setting.

But you haven’t said whether your original view that the motors only need 0.33 amps is correct, or whether they actually need 2 amps.

What power supply (volts and amps) have you got for the motors?

…R

I have 12V-3A power supply for the motors.

If you have 6 steppers that each draw 2 amps per coil (i.e. 4 amps per motor), how is a total of 3 amps going to work?

You still have not confirmed what current your steppers actually require. That is the first thing to do.

If you are getting another power supply get a higher voltage - within the upper limit allowed by the A4988. I think that is 3v volts.

...R

https://www.marginallyclever.com/shop/images/MOT-0003.pdf

Sorry, above the datasheet of stepper motor, ı have limited knowledge about electric and electronics but if i understand right they require 0.3Amp and 12V.

The motor in the PDF you referenced in Reply #8 needs 0.31amps.

But that is a different reference from the one you provided in Reply #2.

Which is the correct datasheet for the motor you actually have? Are there any markings on the motor that can be related to the datasheet?

...R

Forget that, tell us how big the motors are and what the winding resistance is (measure
with a multimeter). Nearly all stepper motors are available in multiple versions with
different windings and the main part number doesn’t usually indicate the winding details.

If the windings are about 40 ohms then they are possibly 12V 0.3A, but 95% of bipolar
steppers are low impedance, 0.3 to 4 ohms range.