what is the cheaper way to know the temperature of my tank wirelessly

Hi everyone i want to measure the temperature in my water tank, but i don't want to use any wire, i am in the first flour, and my tanks in the 5 flour so the distance will be 15-20M

what about arduino ?! did i need 2 or just one with receiver ? any other ideas ?

2 arduinos with a pair of RF transceivers. (and obviously the one with the tank needs a temperature doo dah)

BTW as Temperature doo dahs go, the LM35DZ is pretty good and cheep too.

Transmitting any radio signals though the structure of a building can be a challenge.

so the distance will be 15-20M

e.g. 15M through concrete, or brick or anything else including walls with metalized thermal insulation may be impossible

I'd try using 433Mhz devices rather than anything on 2.4Ghz, but I;d say you are not guaranteed to be able to do this.

You could try using the metal water pipes of the tank as an antenna (but I suspect that legally you'd not be supposed do this, and also they are probably earthed, so that may not work either

If there is mains power where the tank is, you may be able to use Ethernet via mains, but this will not necessarily work either, as the chances are, that you will not remotely be on the same circuit as the power sockets in the tank area.

Anyway, you may be luckly and 433Mhz may just work fine, but I suspect its going to be a challenge to do this.

@KenF
i was thinking to use that rather than Xbee

@rogerClark
you have a good knowledge in networking XD
i like your idea about using power line technology to send the date,
but there is no power plug there, comes from my home,
i make a leaser send the date over water pipes, only 4M, you know you can use water pipes like a fiber optics, but when i test it on my building not work like what i expected it, waste of time

i like your way of thinking, i really want to use the pipes to send the date,
my pipes made from plastic PVC, so i was thinking to make it like antenna, but that’s will not work

15M through concrete, or brick or anything else including walls with metalized thermal insulation may be impossible

I’d try using 433Mhz devices rather than anything on 2.4Ghz, but I;d say you are not guaranteed to be able to do this.

to be honest CISCO can’t do that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
there is alot of things thats make noise, Microwave, mobiles, neon, my wife !! :roll_eyes:
the only way is to put the antenna out from the window, and use the other building to reflect the signal, that’s shoemaker job :roll_eyes:

what about sending signals over the water !!
not wirlessly , but the challenge is to send data over 1 wire,
i think if that possible over 1 wire, that’s will work with water too MAYBE!

I'm not sure XBee would work, They have high power but I think they are on 2.4Ghz which has high attenuation through solid objects

OK about plastic pipes. You cannot use them as an antenna

How about audio signalling down the pipes ? However I think for long distances you need low frequencies of audio e.g like whales song. However in a confined environment perhaps you could use ultrasonics ?

whales song :astonished: !! i am using ultrasonic sensor in the same tank to measure the water level hc-sr04 using 40k Hz is perfect in air but you know if i want use it in water i must use 20K Hz to have better result, ok then waterproof ultrasonic, there is no waterproof in the market, ok i can found one but without the curciet, other thing it's too expensive from 50$ Chinese one to 150$ it's a good idea, but hard to made, what about receiver where i will put it !! :astonished: hmm !! so forget about it :roll_eyes: maybe Ultra long radio waves http://tinyurl.com/k3tv8fg

It may work out expensive, but I presume you could use a phone device at each end to send and receive SMS messages.

...R

Does your house have house wide Wi-Fi that you could piggyback onto?
Could you hang the transmitter antenna out over edge of building on 5th floor and hang the receiver antenna out on first floor below or in line of sight of transmitter?

Robin2 you are kidding right :roll_eyes: !! that's will be expensive

Riva :astonished: i forget about that, nice idea so i will make the arduino in the 5 flour connect to my home router :astonished: and show the result on a web page 1 arduino 1 wifi sheld and thats it ;) thaaaaaanks nice idea Riva

Before you purchase any hardware, you might want to take a laptop or phone up to the tanks & check that you can contact your router from there. Even then, no guarantee that a wifi shield could do the same thing.

narzan: Robin2 you are kidding right :roll_eyes: !! that's will be expensive

I don't actually know how much it costs to buy a month's or a year's worth of SMS messages for a SIM card.

But it has the great advantage that it would probably work.

It depends on how badly you need the data.

...R

You could have a solenoid that taps on the pipe to sound out it's temperature in Morse code (with a crc byte appended). Your receiver could simply listen to the noise on the pipe and ignore any morse like signals that don't pass the CRC validation.

How do you get on with your neighbours?

wildbill

Before you purchase any hardware, you might want to take a laptop or phone up to the tanks & check that you can contact your router from there. Even then, no guarantee that a wifi shield could do the same thing.

actually i have UBNT access point this beauty https://store.ubnt.com/unifi/uap-outdoor-ac.html on my window, all my neighborhood is student for that why not ! Free Internet for everyone XD i am i a good guy i think :P

so there is no problem 28 dBm, 600 ft, dul band 5 Ghz, 2.5 Ghz XD

@Robin2

to buy a month's or a year's worth of SMS messages for a SIM card

in month 25$ :fearful: for this data :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: no thanks i don't want water anymore :sweat_smile:

@KenF i am interesting in your idea :astonished: solenoid the problem is my pipes from pvc and yes that will be noise for my neighbours , but you are very close, what if i put something to make pulse signals 5v !! in the water how that will work i dont know

narzan: in month 25$

Interesting. I thought it would be much cheaper. I get all-I-can-eat 3G data and loads of free texts and phone minutes for £15 per month.

...R

VLF--- a simple VLF transmitter and receiver in the unlicensed frequencies will send slow serial data through your solid walls just nicely. It will be slow speed but if your looking for just simple temperature and maybe one or two more values it is adequate.