what is the meaning of PPM in resistors?

i found this resistor http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/cmfind-239942.pdf there is something interesting, the PPM per celcious what is the meaning of this? what is PPM?

Seriously dude ? You never heard of Parts Per Million ?

raschemmel:
Seriously dude ? You never heard of Parts Per Million ?

as someone who his native language is not english, no i have not…
can you please explain what is the meaning in temperture whise

Google "resistor PPM"

It is the amount the R value changes for every degree the temperature changes.

100PPM per deg C means the R increases 100 ohms for every 1M ohm for every degree the temperature increases. Or by the same ratio for other values. EG, 10 ohms for every 100k or 1 ohm every 10k.

Weedpharma

To express something (the variation of something in this case) in ppm is a more comfortable way of saying the same in "%"

100 PPM is 100/1 000 000 => 1 / 100 000 => 0.000001 => 0.0001 % that, in this case, means that the resistance of the item varies a 0.0001 % (per degree ºC of variation in its temperature).

it's just a matter of units

Regards

Hello i just wanted to comment on this subject my self. I also never heard of ppm into i seen this post and thank you for sharing with us what it means and how it works.

PPM is also used extensively in gas and similar concentrations.

EG, the garage had 100 PPM of carbon monoxide. Tells us the concentration of the gas with respect to normal air.

You have probably seen it many times, just not registered what it meant.

Weedpharma

Teil pro million, in german.

Generally though the abbreviation ppm is universal.

It has many meanings though depending on context.

The change in resistance due to a change in temperature is normally quite small over a particular temperature range. This is because the manufacturer has chosen a material having a resistivity not greatly influenced by temperature. That is, the material (and so the resistor) has a low TEMPERATURE COEFFICIENT. In other words, there is only a small change in value per °C. This change in value is normally quoted in parts per million (ppm) so a typical resistor would have, as part of its specification a quoted temperature coefficient such as; Temperature coefficient: 50ppm/°C Meaning that the change in value due to a temperature change of 1°C will not be more than 50Ω for every 1MΩ of the resistor's value (or 0.05Ω for every 1KΩ of its value). The temperature coefficient quoted above would be typical of a metal film resistor. Carbon film types have temperature coefficients typically around 200 to 500ppm/°C

resistor terminology

percent (%) = 1 part in 102
permil (‰) = 1 part in 103
permyriad (‱) = 1 part in 104
parts per million (ppm) = 1 part in 106
parts per billion (ppb) = 1 part in 109
parts per trillion (ppt) = 1 part in 1012

parts per million (ppm) = 1 part in 106

Ya think ? (LOL) :D

"Permyriad" never heard that one before, and I play Scrabble. Thanks jboyton!

PERMYRIAD (1% of 1%)

Biology, Physics, chemistry, engineering... everybody uses PPM. It is a more confortable way of expressing very small ratios than using %.

Besides, you can use PPM (and other units, like jboyton wrote) to express any ratio. Example:

The ratio of honest politicians in South America is about 0.13 PPM.

The % of Newbies with no electronics experience posting on the forum ?

AlxDroidDev: The ratio of honest politicians in South America is about 0.13 PPM.

We measure ours in ppq.

given that the total no of people ever to have lived on earth is 108 billion.

What chance do we have.

ChrisTenone: "Permyriad" never heard that one before, and I play Scrabble. Thanks jboyton!

Me neither. I just noticed that it has a symbol as well -- ‱.

jboyton: Me neither. I just noticed that it has a symbol as well -- ‱.

A very cool symbol - it looks like it's saying "percent oooh". I'm gonna start using that at school.