What is the newest Arduino that has HID Capabilities?

I was thinking about grabbing a teensy, but I wanted to stay closer to the true arduino roots.
Plus I knew that its alot easier to blow up a teensy, with incorrect wiring D:.

So, what is the Most recent (Hopefully one a bit newer than the Leonardo, or at least one that has fixed the few bugs I heard about from Leonardo.

Note also, I have heard of the Arduino Micro, how well would it work with sensors like an accelerometer, or ultrasonic sensor?

Also, wont I have to solder any connections onto the Micro?
I'd prefer actual header/jumper slots if thats possible :confused:

Go with teensy! What kind of hid capabilities do you need? just mouse and keyboard?

Yes, but I also want to make sure that I can do a little more too!
I for sure was wanting to use some Sensors.

Is teensy the right choice?

jackendra:
Yes, but I also want to make sure that I can do a little more too!
I for sure was wanting to use some Sensors.

Is teensy the right choice?

Lets see. The Teensy 3.0 has 14 pins that are capable of doing analog inputs, while the Teensy 3.1 has 21 analog input pins. Ten of the analog pins are brought out to the normal pins on the side for 3.0/3.1 for easy connection (2 more on the top are also easy to get to, and the Teensy 3.1 has one in the back). The other sensors need to be soldered to underneath the Teensy. The Uno has 6 analog input pins, while the Mega has 15, but they don't support HID as far as I know. The Leonardo has 11 analog input pins, but some of the inputs overlap with the digital pins.. The Due has 12 analog input pins.

If you wanted to do touch sensing, the Teensy's have 12 pins that can do touch reading. The Uno/Mega/etc. don't have this, and you have to use 2 pins to get the proper reading.

The Teensy 3.0 has I2S, and Teensy 3.1 adds CAN, but I don't believe there is library support for them at the current time.

If your sensors are read in from serial ports, both Teensy's have 3 serial ports. The Teensy 3.0 has an 8 byte FIFO on the primary UART, 4 word FIFO on the SPI bus, and a 4 word FIFO on i2s. Teensy 3.1 has 8 byte FIFOs on Serial1 and Serial2, a 4 word FIFO on SPI, an 8 word FIFO on I2S, and a 6 message FIFO on CAN. The Leonardo only has 1 serial port, while the Due has 3.

Since the Due also uses an arm processor, it runs at 3.3v just like the Teensy 3.x does, and so you need to use components that are spec'ed to run at 3.3v instead of 5v, or use voltage converters. Note, the Teensy 3.1 is tolerant of 5v devices on most of the pins.

The Teensy 3.0 runs at 48 or 96Mhz. The Teensy 3.1 runs at 72 or 96Mhz. The Due runs at 84Mhz. The AVR processors like the Leonardo run at 16Mhz or 8Mhz.

If you order the Teensy 3.0/3.1 straight from pjrc.com, you can get them to solder on the header pins for an additional charge of $3 for easy breadboard use.

If you solder a crystal on the Teensy 3.0/3.1 there is a real time clock and you can power the RTC with a coin battery when the main processor is powered off.

If you need PWM outputs, the Teensy 3.0 has 10 PWM's and 3.1 has 12.

Here are the specs: Teensy USB Development Board

Whoa, Thanks for all that! :D.

One more question though, as you can see Im not very experienced with electronics.
Now, I'm more interested in having Sockets on top of the Teensy, rather than having Headers on the underside.
Is there a way they would go ahead and do that for me (For an extra cost of course)?
I broke my soldering iron, and dont at the moment feel like buying another tip unless its absolutely needed.

(By broke, I mean I didnt take care of the tip, and didnt do alot of tinning, and ended up eating right thru it ... Oops)

Again, thank you so much for the information on your post, it helped!

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I probably need to look at my soldering iron tip. I've probably been doing that also. :slight_smile:

The simplest way is to just get a breadboard that has at least 15 rows, and get the Teensy 3.0 with header pins attached. Just put the Teensy in the breadboard, and then you can use all of the rows as sockets. I would suggest connecting the ground wire to the black power rail on one side, connect the 3.3v pin to the red power rail. Then connect the two black power rails, and the two red power rails (black to black, red to red). Here is one of the many how-to's for breadboards: How to Use a Breadboard - learn.sparkfun.com

Generally, I like the so-called 1/2 size breadboards that have 30 rows of pins on them, and 2 power rails on each side, like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12002

You can also use a mini-breadboard like this if you don't need the power rails: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12044

If it isn't obvious from the tutorials, you will need jumper wires as well to connect to the breadboard.

Alternatively, you could just solder (or use electronic solderless glue) headers on to the Teensy. I'm not aware that they make 1x14 female headers, but you could use a 1x8 and a 1x6 header on each side.

Thanks, man thats all I needed!
Plus I have a ton of jumper wires, from a kit I bought I little while back.
Thanks again :smiley:

Buy a new tip for the iron.

An experimenter without a soldering iron is ... unthinkable. :smiley: