What is the next "step" after breadboards?

A quick question.

Just wondering what people use after they've finished prototyping with a bread board and wan't to actually solder their circuit together for something more solid and permanent?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I like pcb protoboards with metal-through holes that can be soldered on both sides. I use single core wires to connect everything and make my own 'shield'.
Next step would be designing a pcb board and have it made by a pcb service.

For one-off projects, I typically use stripboard, or stripboard + verowire if I need higher density. If I'm building more than one or space is at a premium, I design a surface-mount pcb and have the pcb manufactured by Itead.

When you can get a PCB for $10 or whatever go straight to a PCB, unless it's a trivial circuit AND a one-off.

Rob

Ok thanks for your help everyone I'll look into those.

After prototyping, I go to PCB design and creation at $9.90 for ten boards (50mm x 50mm).

For quick construction I like perforated board with no plating on the through holes. I never found the plating to be helpful, but that's definitely a personal preference. PCB's are more work to set up, but look a lot nicer. If you are working with an analog project that is sensitive to noise a PCB can work wonders.