What is the weirdest thing you've learnt...

What is the weirdest thing you’ve learnt…from the internet? (apart from arduino and electronics stuff) is it as easy to learn to swim or ride a bicycle from the interest as it is to learn programming the arduino?

Well the question came up from a debate on what you can and cannot learn from the internet.

Cheers,
Pracas

That rats are ticklish. And enjoy begin tickled!

How to skin a squirrel.

How to read the blink codes for the error codes on a landrover discovery abs controller without the special diagnostic system and saving a few hundred pounds by replacing a simple relay rather than the whole abs system.

Gordon

That you have to get a tv licence in the UK, and that I was complaining about registering our dog!!! (I don’t have a dog)

That you have to get a tv licence in the UK

No, you don’t.
You don’t have to have a TV licence in the UK if you don’t have a TV, and you don’t have to have a TV licence if you have a TV but don’t watch TV live, or TV that you have recorded.
If you have a TV that is connected to a DVD player, and is never connected to an antenna, you don’t need a licence.
(you only have one licence per household, irrespective of the number of TVs)

Dog licences were abolished here some years ago.

I’ve learnt a lot about riding my unicycle from the internet but I wouldn’t say it’s the weirdest thing I have learnt

Mowcius

Rule 34…and 35.

I was curious one day… so I leaned how to make a good pizza… from just ingredients… no store bought pizza kits or short cuts.

Now I’m pretty good at it.

http://billyreisinger.com/pizza.html

That computer can catch virius just like people. :wink:

Lefty

I think i should refine my question - What process have you learnt to implement? (as against general knowledge) - Hehe…

Several years ago (When I was about 10), I learned how to whistle from the internet. No one could explain it properly, but Google came through :).

Several years ago (When I was about 10), I learned how to whistle from the internet. No one could explain it properly, but Google came through Smiley.

Now that’s interesting…

How to splice the end of a rope. I have got no use for it at all but it does impress people.

I learned how to quickly filter a few desired pieces of information from thousands of irrelevant items. How to listen for the ring of truth in a cacophony of lies. How to find an expert in a crowd of amateurs. How to detect the original in a sea of copycats.

I learned how to quickly filter a few desired pieces of information from thousands of irrelevant items. How to listen for the ring of truth in a cacophony of lies. How to find an expert in a crowd of amateurs. How to detect the original in a sea of copycats.

WOW! And what is your current accuracy? :wink:

Lefty

How to make anything from instructables. Aha

…that young sloth are so lazy that they grab their arms instead of branches and falll, therefore, out of trees.

…That there is a trilobite whose name is, translated from latin to english, ‘butthead’.

and finally that it is a shocking realisation if you finally find out that the electrician who laid cables in your house did a big mistake. And by shocking i mean lighning-sparkle-flying-shocking. Ouch.

that some people find 2 girls and 1 cup erotic

vomits a little… :o

Learning to whistle from the internet is pretty cool.

Some things I do a lot now, in which the internet was the source a critical part of the learning include baking knitting and playing frisbee.

None of these are “weird” things exactly… but I do think learning to swim from the internet is comparable to learning electronics from arduino.

For all of these things if I did not also spend a lot of time by myself going through a lot of trial-and-error I probably wouldn’t really have learned it; i.e. just internet wouldn’t have cut it. However, without internet I had no means to learn it, be it because I didn’t have people who could teach me, or enough time with those people who could.

Off the top of my head I can’t think of anything that isn’t learnable from the internet, if only because the internet represents a bunch of advice from other human beings, and all a person needs to learn something, anything, is the motivation to get through a lot of trial-and-error by oneself supported with advice from other people along the way. No? :slight_smile: