What is this connector/socket called

Hi All

I have a little question about a tachometer socket.

Anyone who knows the name of this pictures connector/socket.

Maybe a little help to where I can find it on http://www.aliexpress.com

As you can maybe a few words on sockets/connector and the difference as you can see I am in doubt about the words.

socket.jpg

That looks like it might be a 4 pin JST connector: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/S4B-PH-SM3-TB-4Pin-2-0mm-pitch-JST-brand-original-authentic/32225459896.html

Hi ShapeShifter

Thanks for your answer.

All those connectors seems very hard to find the names of...

Now they are ordered.

Thanks again...

/Jokerper

I know exactly what you mean, I often have a hard time figuring out just what kind of connector I'm looking at and what might mate with it. Unless you know the name, it's hard to search for it, and once you know the name you don't really have to search for it. Where do you start?

Fortunately, in this case, the connector looked familiar. You got lucky.

I've had nothing but sorrow trying to order connectors that match ones I have. Even when you have a name, it's hard to go from that to the correct parts, because the names are not always used consistently and correctly by vendors. The fact that the fragments of connector names are short enough that it's hard to get good search results doesn't help matters either.

I know how frustrating it is when you don’t know the name of a part! I’m assuming you just mean the plug there and not what it’s attached to?

If so I’ve ordered these from Farnell by searching “pin header”. They come in a huge range of sizes. http://uk.farnell.com/wago/231-538-001-000-rn01-0000/pin-header-8pos-5-08mm/dp/1311543

no_u: If so I've ordered these from Farnell by searching "pin header". They come in a huge range of sizes. http://uk.farnell.com/wago/231-538-001-000-rn01-0000/pin-header-8pos-5-08mm/dp/1311543

Actually, that connector is gargantuan compared to the one pictured in the original post. (This one has 5mm terminal spacing, whereas the one in the original post appears to be 2mm.) Also, the keying is completely different: this one has small ribs on one side between each pin, where the desired one has large notches in two corners.

This is NOT the connector for which the OP is searching.

As I said, they come in a huge range of sizes and that link is an example of a pin header. If the OP searches "pin header" they will probably find what they're looking for.

no_u: If the OP searches "pin header" they will probably find what they're looking for.

Then you are far better at searching than I. With such a generic term I would be flooded with so many hits, that I would be lost in a forest of trees. More power to you!

ShapeShifter: Then you are far better at searching than I. With such a generic term I would be flooded with so many hits, that I would be lost in a forest of trees. More power to you!

No need to get snippy there. When I was trying to find a similar part and found the term pin header I searched Farnell and found what I needed. I'm passing on my experience. Yours may differ. Chillax.

I'm not intending to be snippy, I'm sorry it came across that way. I'm truly glad you have such luck searching. If I hadn't seen that connector before in a recent project, I would've been just as lost as the OP trying to find it. My comment was more to empathize with the OP, not to take a dig at you.

Written media such as this can be difficult at times, since we get so much of the meaning from the tone of voice which is absent from the written word. I have to remember that written comments can be so easily misconstrued.

Anyone who managed to get a funny little connector like that by searching for "pin header" and got something that fit is spectacularly lucky, or I am spectacularly unlucky.

It took me three tries when I needed a 2 pin JST PH connector, and when I needed some new female pins for a plain old KK100 connector, I had to study datasheets for similar looking pins and a known working connector with a pair of calipers to find the right ones. It took hours to make sure I got the right thing.

It's really ridiculous how crappy buying connectors is for electronics hobbyists.