What is this object attached to stepper?

What is this object that is attached to the stepper motor?

Could be a gearbox (planetary) or a clutch or encoder. Is there a cable connected to it? If so, how many conductors?

There are no wires going to this item. Just the stepper.

There is about 300# of force pulling of this post. I assume it's some sort of bearing system or gearbox. I think 300#+ of pressure on the stepper motor would break it.

You have cut off part of the picture but it seems as if there is a hook on the end of the shaft which leads me to think it is intended to rotate something hanging from the hook.

Does "300#" mean "300 lbs" ? If so, in what direction is the 300lbs force acting ? I suspect it is not acting directly on the motor - but, again, your picture has been cut off where it matters.

...R

Yes there is a hook on the end and it's 300 - 400 lbs of pulling force against the hook.

Then it is probably a linear actuator, but with short travel.

There's no cable attached to. The pulling force is applied at the other end via an air cylinder.

So the red device must be some sort of thrust bearing attachment?

Dumb question. What happens if you turn the stepper motor by hand...

Hi, Where did you get the image from? A complete and full image if you can would be helpful.

Tom...... :)

Here's a youtube video of what I'd like to create. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9a2EOqB5g

Hi, Are you serious about the question? It is a Super Server 600, it twists strings for archery bows, it has a dedicated control system to tell setup twist and cover the string.

Why didn't you say so in this thread of yours? http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=329855.30

In my opinion you have wasted a lot of peoples time in the first thread when all you needed was this one. Or proper description of your application in the first posting of it. Sorry for not being impressed but forum members do not get payed to answer posts, our time is voluntary to help with your questions. And its only 600RPM, did you listen and watch youtube?

The complete device is a relatively high torque stepper motor, as you know and the device on the end would be a precision gearbox for the motor. And its only 600RPM, did you listen and watch youtube? Tom..... :)

Sorry, I want a 800-1000 rpm not 600. I guess I'm trying to educate myself on the arduino and steppers. Thought some of you that work with this stuff could give some guidance.

I'm sorry if you feel I wasted your time. I"m just trying to figure out if I can build one like this only better.

I obviously know they used a stepper but I wasn't sure this was a gearbox attached to it. This is why I posted the picture. I didn't think a geabox could handle the 300+ lbs of axial load on the shaft. Secondly, why would you want to slow it down with a gearbox?

Read up on gear boxes. Slower speed equals more torque.

Weedpharma

TomGeorge: Why didn't you say so in this thread of yours? http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=329855.30

In my opinion you have wasted a lot of peoples time in the first thread when all you needed was this one.

Hear Hear.

Jeez ....

...R

cgchris99: Sorry, I want a 800-1000 rpm not 600. I guess I'm trying to educate myself on the arduino and steppers. Thought some of you that work with this stuff could give some guidance.

I'm sorry if you feel I wasted your time. I"m just trying to figure out if I can build one like this only better.

I obviously know they used a stepper but I wasn't sure this was a gearbox attached to it. This is why I posted the picture. I didn't think a geabox could handle the 300+ lbs of axial load on the shaft. Secondly, why would you want to slow it down with a gearbox?

yes, you have wasted a lot of peoples time on the other thread. the purpose of that device is perfectly clear since the video shows it. the exact design and use is brilliant. someone knows what they are doing. now all is clear to me. good luck with your learning. here is a question. someone took a lot of time and apparently a lot of tests, to make the device in the video. they understood why 1 psi puts 2.84 pounds of tension on the string. there is understanding behind every part of that design. sorry, but your comment that you want to make it 'better' by making it faster does not wash. also, in the last week, how many steppers and drivers have you bought and tried ? you have to walk before you can run. get those steppers running, twisting and spinning. in a few weeks you will have somewhat better understanding on how they work. read the white paper on geckodrives on power supplies. then read it again. there is a lot on the web about steppers.

stop trying to engineer things you do not understand. learn about them and try to figure them out.

an answer on here will help you parrot what others have done but does not offer knowledge.

btw, that 'device' on the stepper is perfectly clear one you linked the video.

do not hold back information in the future.

watching the related video, I realized there is a very easy to make device that would help the people who make bow strings.

funny how going through life, we see things that can help others.

I will leave you with this.

it is not a gear box.

Again, I apologize for offending everyone and wasting their time.

I should have posted the video as soon as I found it but I didn't feel right about posting a video of their commercial product. However I figured the only way to show what I wanted was to post the video of their device. That is someone elses product but I want something similar only better.

My only purpose of coming to the guidance section was to try to learn some things before I purchased a bunch of equipment that I couldn't use.

Thank you all for your time. I'll come back with specific questions once I've completed more tests and hopefully you all will be willing to help.

from an old salt, expect that half the stuff you buy, you will never use. all too often, you find that there is some reason things are so pleantyful, or low cost but seem worth the cost. I think I probably speak for the community when I say I have half a shoe box of stuff I have bought, tried, but for some reason, do not use.

but rather think of it as part of your education. Would you pay $500 to attend a class on electronics, and arduinos ? well, here is the class, the professor is IN, substitute professors drop in all the time, only you have to spend the money on materials.

old coffee makers, microwaves, washers, dryers, old-OLD floppy disks, if you can find them. (offer to help a computer shop clean out some junk)

before you know it, you will be tossing out more than you are buying.