What is this thing called?

Hello friends,

I want to confirm what the name of this is, I know it doesn’t seem like Arduino project guidance but I have no idea what it is called and it is for my Arduino project so I felt like this made sense.

I think it is called a “Closed Hook” right? I have an acrylic enclosure on my Arduino and I essentially want to use acrylic welding to attach something like this to the top of my acrylic case, but I’ve been googling “Acrylic hook” and “Acrylic closed loop” and I can’t seem to find anything. All I want is a square piece of acrylic that has this type of closed hook on it but I can’t seem to find it. Does anyone have any ideas or work around that may be able to help me? It needs to be able to have a plastic carabineer such as the one attached so at least that large of a loop.

Thank you for your advice on this. Or if anyone has any thoughts on a metal piece or something that I can securely fasten to my rectangle piece of acrylic that will work also.

Closed Hook.PNG

Plastic Carabiner.PNG

A U bolt is the closest thing I can think of

A "screw eyelet" or "eye bolt" might be an option:- Eye bolt

it's called an eye. google wants you to use eye bolt. you can make them from acrylic rod, bend twice and weld.

Thank you so much everyone, You are great people! Dave great advice, I think I will do this!

I have an acrylic enclosure on my Arduino and I essentially want to use acrylic welding to attach something like this to the top of my acrylic case, but I've been googling "Acrylic hook" and "Acrylic closed loop" and I can't seem to find anything. All I want is a square piece of acrylic that has this type of closed hook on it but I can't seem to find it.

Using an EYE-BOLT as recommended by OldSteve is a very straightforward and simple process but you can screw it up by not using plastic drills (metal drills made for drilling acrylic). I have a complete set for building enclosures for high power equipment at work. Also, failure to use a thick enough square of acrylic on the inside can make the modification weak and the acrylic can crack when you lift it with eye bolt. I would recommend 1/2" thickness. Also large washers on the inside where the nut attaches the bolt to the plastic.

ummm... maybe just have one laser cut? like where you are getting your other acrylic stuff from?

Great Idea xl97! I will ask the supplier. I did buy a couple small rods but not sure if I will be able to pull off a perfect U shape. Surely they can do it for me for a price. Thanks a ton, I need to think out of the box a bit more :P

I did buy a couple small rods but not sure if I will be able to pull off a perfect U shape.

If you bought an eye-bolt or a U-bolt, all you need is one or two holes to mount them. Where you thinking of trying to make you own U-bolts ? Why when you can buy them ?

raschemmel: [u]but you can screw it up by not using plastic drills[/u] (metal drills made for drilling acrylic).

A sharp regular drill bit digs in to the acrylic to fast and will cause it to crack. The trick is to use a dull drill bit and there will not be any cracking. and it saves having to spend $$$ on special drill bits.

My employer showed me that trick once when I forgot the toolbox containing the plastic drills. We stopped at the hardware store and bought a drill bit and then he ran it into some concrete for a few seconds and I drilled some 50 holes without a crack. Have used that trick thousands of times since and have never had any cracking problems.

My employer showed me that trick once when I forgot the toolbox containing the plastic drills. We stopped at the hardware store and bought a drill bit and then he ran it into some concrete for a few seconds and I drilled some 50 holes without a crack. Have used that trick thousands of times since and have never had any cracking problems.

Ok. That's thinking outside the box. You learn something new every day...