What kind of sensor is this, and how can i simulate the remote with an arduino?

Hi, I have a natural gas fireplace, and this is the remote |200x180 |200x180

The remote can just turn up or down the flame, and i want to make a more intelligent thermostat using Arduino. The problem is that i dont know what kind of sensor the remote uses to send the wireless signal to the fireplace. It looks like an ultrasonic sensor, am i correct? If so, can i use the HC-SR04 sensor to simulate the remote? From what i've read, the HC-SR04 can only be used for distance measurement? What kind of sensor should i use on the arduino?

cheers!

Looks likeultrasonicto be as well.

From what i've read, the HC-SR04 can only be used for distance measurement?

Rubbish.

Grumpy_Mike: Looks likeultrasonicto be as well.

From what i've read, the HC-SR04 can only be used for distance measurement?

Rubbish.

Thank you for the reply. could you elaborate on the rubbish part? When reading this datasheet , it seems to have built in features:

The Timing diagram is shown below. You only need to supply a short 10uS pulse to the trigger input to start the ranging, and then the module will send out an 8 cycle burst of ultrasound at 40 kHz and raise its echo.

So can i override this, and send / receive sound for however long i want to? Is there any sensors without the built in control circuit?

could you elaborate on the rubbish part

Well rubbish is crap. A statement without Merritt or any degree of truth. There are many uses for an ultrasonic sensor, your remote is one such application.

I would comment on that link if it worked.

link is fixed, http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Datasheets/HCSR04b.pdf.

I know there are many uses, my concern is that the ones created for arduino contains a controller which makes them suited for distance sensing only.

the ones created for arduino

Are you only interested in ready built circuit boards?

Well, i am better at programming than on hardware, so i thought that would be easier to by one than constructing my own.

Could you help me in the right direction, if i where to assemble it myself?