What motor would be good for pulling and pushing string

it should be able to pull with a force of 1kg

what im trying to make is a minecraft piston irl so it should be somewhat small

Have you ever tried to push string? It doesn’t work.

Steve

If you search ebay for "geared dc motor" something there may be suitable?
The gearing with give a small motor lots of 'force' but will turn slowly so depends what speed you require it to operate at.

If you search eBay for "linear actuator" or "push-pull solenoids" I think one of these may be of interest

slipstick:
Have you ever tried to push string? It doesn't work.

Steve

Define 'work'.

Motors are rated for torque (and speed) so you'll have to convert that to torque, which will depend on the diameter of your spool/pulley. (A small pulley pulls harder but slower.)

A geared-down motor will also give you more torque at reduced speed. And it's the "nature" of a DC motor to put-out the most torque at low speed (under high-load or when it's accelerating from a stop). At maximum speed you get the least torque.

PerryBebbington:
Define 'work'.

Define "define". What is this game anyway?

Steve

A linear actuator pushes and pulls.

1kg is a mass, not a force.

Once you get there, consider the current, and how you’re going to drive your actuator / motor.

slipstick:
Define "define". What is this game anyway?

Steve

can you offer a definition of what the meaning of 'is' is ?

splyfof:

what im trying to make is a minecraft piston irl so it should be somewhat small

A minecraft piston moves one full block
It seems hard to make the mechanics work without some clever adaptions.

not sure how large your project is but the mechanics of moving the piston seem to be the real sticking point

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
1kg is a mass, not a force.

True, but generally considered in most cases to be effectively the same as 9.8 Newtons.

dave-in-nj:
can you offer a definition of what the meaning of 'is' is ?

I can yes, thanks for asking. But instead I'll stop going off topic now before I get in trouble.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.