What operating system do you use?

Thread originally started by SuperMiguel.

Original at: What you guys use? OS wise? - General Discussion - Arduino Forum (now locked).

What does it matter what is used, really? Can we generally say that OSs are advanced enough anymore to be transparent to the C++ sketch writing and compiling and downloading (with the occasional USB driver problem, which are not OS related so much)?

Oops!

Poll incorrectly set up!

Using "radio buttons" - should be using checkboxes!

I don't see any such option. There is no "checkbox or radio button" feature.

CrossRoads:
What does it matter what is used, really?

The original question was "What operating system do you use?". I added "for Arduino programming" otherwise I thought it was too vague.

Personally I use all three for day-to-day use.

Well I have successfully programmed an Arduino on a Raspberry Pi but it takes an age I would not recommend it if you have any choice.

Do I select other when I use linux and windows? Or do I select the one I use most?
Jantje

Software problems, always software problems. :disappointed_relieved:

Jantje:
Do I select other when I use linux and windows? Or do I select the one I use most?

I think we will have to vote twice!

Once from each machine?

Jantje:
Jantje

I changed the question to "most use" since we can't have checkboxes.

So it will be. :smiley:
Jantje

Change the "OX/S" then? XD

(Comment regarding deleting comment later, suppressed in order to maintain sense of thread.)

Paul__B:
Change the "OX/S" then? XD

You know, I looked at that, and thought "typo" and then I thought "no it isn't" and then you said that and I realized I was wrong about not being wrong. :wink:

+1 karma for daring to accept being wrong about not being wrong

Currently using Windows 8 Pro. Will be trying out 8.1 soon. I've also installed Linux Mint on a couple machines with the intent of learning it but have not found the time so far :frowning:

I use Linux for the same reason I use the Arduino: Open Source.

I had originally started playing around with the Parallax Basic Stamp 2; I found that they had a port of their compiler for Linux, tried it, and it worked well. Then one day, I needed to upgrade my machine (motherboard died).

I took the chance to move to a 64-bit version of Linux while I was at it, but much to my dismay, Parallax's compiler no longer worked. I'd been burned.

You see, it was a binary-only distribution, and it was statically compiled (!) against 32-bit only libraries. I couldn't even use any IA32 bridge libraries or anything to get past it; nor could I recompile it. I tried a few different methods, but nothing worked.

Parallax told me in an email that they didn't have the source code to the compiler, and that the guy who wrote it stopped responding to them a long time ago; effectively, there isn't an easy way to compile for the Stamp under Linux (maybe with a VM or something, though - but you would have to purchase the PBASIC compiler).

As I looked around - I stumbled on the Arduino project, which seemed perfect for my needs; I downloaded the IDE, set everything up - then bought my first Arduino (Duemilanove) from SparkFun. I haven't looked back since.

I know that - even if the Arduino team packs up their ball and goes home - that I will still be able to compile and build things - I have all the source code; that's all I need. Now - should Atmel pack up their bags - well, that would introduce a challenge, but nothing that couldn't be overcome; there are plenty of other embedded platforms and controllers out there (and many have a port for the Arduino IDE - or something very similar forked from it or otherwise).

That's why I use Linux - and have done so since about 1995 (though I didn't get serious with it until 1999 or so); no single company can take it away from me, I truly "own" it - I have the source code, and the binaries (ok - other than my NVidia driver - you can't have a good 3D performance without the binary driver, unfortunately - but, if I had to give it up, I would). I can duplicate it and put it on as many machines as I want; I can fork it or copy it, and give it away - no questions asked. Yes, there are certain restrictions on the source code (depending on the license), but most of them are designed to make me "pay it forward" - and not restrict others in what they can do.

To me - that is a good thing.

It would be interesting to divide up "Windows" (XP or older, Vista, W7, W8 or newer ?)
(OS/X, not so much... Fewer differences.)

I think my brain just fell off reading this thread...is it...backwards? :confused:
Edit:
facepalm It's oldest first, usually its newest. lawl