What parts do I order for this project ?

I am planning to get an arduino kit for a ambilight project for home. It'll be for a 32" Samsung television that is currently connected to a HTPC. What parts would I need to order & arrange ? My budget is ~$70.

Regards

Fully describe your project. This is too brief.

Weedpharma

This project: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-ambilight-60/ says that you can build one for $60 using these:

• Arduino Uno
  • 10A 5V power supply
  • WS2812B 5-meter LED strip
  • Double sided tape (don’t make the same mistake I did – use good quality 3M stuff)

weedpharma: Fully describe your project. This is too brief.

Weedpharma

Its for My home theater setup. What else would you want to know ??

What you actually want to happen, with what you want to control. What experience you have (do we keep it simple or fancy).

Do you need any more than JohnWasser linked to?

Weedpharma

weedpharma: What you actually want to happen, with what you want to control. What experience you have (do we keep it simple or fancy).

Do you need any more than JohnWasser linked to?

Weedpharma

Thanks. I'm fairly a beginner, so if you can, simple would be good. I plan to create an Ambilight project for my TV set that is presently connected to a HTPC (i5, 4gb RAM etc). Would I be able to control the effects from the PC itself or would I still require Arduino? The guide by the above gentlemen is good, but It mentions that the person is using the Uno itself for his setup, BVut I need to use these effects when I watch any movies or YT videos on my TV through the PC ?

This is an Arduino forum so we help with Arduino projects. If you don't want to use an Arduino, you are in the wrong place!

Weedpharma

weedpharma: This is an Arduino forum so we help with Arduino projects. If you don't want to use an Arduino, you are in the wrong place!

Weedpharma

Just so we're on the same page, I can watch content on any device and still get the ambilight effect on the TV set which is why one uses Arduino. Is this right ?

Also, would an Arduino Nano work for this project as I am able to get one locally ?

huzzug: Also, would an Arduino Nano work for this project as I am able to get one locally ?

In general a Nano will do anything an UNO will do (they have the same model processor) as long as an Arduino Shield is not involved. Remember to install the driver for the USB-to-Serial chip.

huzzug:
Just so we’re on the same page, I can watch content on any device and still get the ambilight effect on the TV set which is why one uses Arduino. Is this right ?

Bump

Well, that depends on how you are getting the colour information into the ambilight. The Arduino can't read HDMI video signals and decode them. That's way too much data for an Arduino to handle. I think that's why the original project used a PC to send data to the Arduino.

huzzug: Just so we're on the same page, I can watch content on any device and still get the ambilight effect on the TV set which is why one uses Arduino. Is this right ?

The project I pointed to requires the Processing IDE be installed on the PC. I believe this is used to get the color information from the video. I expect that means the video has to get to or pass through the PC. The Processing sketch then sends the color information to the Arduino over a serial link and the Arduino controls the addressable RGB strips.

johnwasser: The project I pointed to requires the Processing IDE be installed on the PC. I believe this is used to get the color information from the video. I expect that means the video has to get to or pass through the PC. The Processing sketch then sends the color information to the Arduino over a serial link and the Arduino controls the addressable RGB strips.

So the power connector on the Nano/Uno serve as a power as well as a data source to be connected from the PC ??

huzzug: So the power connector on the Nano/Uno serve as a power as well as a data source to be connected from the PC ??

Please don't confuse power jacks and USB connectors.

The USB connector carries both a 5V power line and (serial) communication lines. You can use the 5V line to power the Arduino, but not for powering LED strips. When you need a separate power supply for the attached devices, you should use it to also power the Arduino, regardless of whether an USB cable is attached or not. Else you risk to damage the Arduino when that external power source is on, while the USB cable is unplugged or the PC is shut down.

DrDiettrich: Please don't confuse power jacks and USB connectors.

The USB connector carries both a 5V power line and (serial) communication lines. You can use the 5V line to power the Arduino, but not for powering LED strips. When you need a separate power supply for the attached devices, you should use it to also power the Arduino, regardless of whether an USB cable is attached or not. Else you risk to damage the Arduino when that external power source is on, while the USB cable is unplugged or the PC is shut down.

Ooh sorry, I meant the USB connector on the Arduino, as It says on the product page that its used as a power connector. Sorry for the confusion.