What power supply to use for WS2812B

Hi,

I know that every LED in a WS2812B LED steip draws 60mA and on a 300LED strip that would take 18A, but I cannot seam to find an appropriate power supply for this. I would need this supply to have an EU plug. Can you recommend me anything? Also if you know anything better please tell me. I am on a small budget so I try to keep things as low cost as possible.

Top line in a google search of a 5V 18 A power supply returns LRS-100-5 90W 5V 18A Single Output Enclosed Power Supply | Power Supplies Online

I know these kinds of supplys exist, but I need one with a plug, like a laptop power adapter. I found some on alibaba, but they only sell bulk.

I have had many laptops and most of their power supply plugs were different, post a link to what you are talking about.

I think he wants a "brick" with a (EU) mains cord attached.

Paul__B:
I think he wants a "brick" with a (EU) mains cord attached.

You are right, I need a 5V 20A power supply with an EU cord attached as input and a 2.5mm jack as output. I am unable to find these in 20A form, the most I could find is 10A

Well, the 2.5mm jack is wrong, it can do no more than 4 Amps, and even that is not a good idea. So you would need at least five of them spilled from the power supply.

Basically, you need screw terminal connectors.

Do also remember that you need to feed (power) into your strip every 30 LEDs in any case.

Paul__B:
Well, the 2.5mm jack is wrong, it can do no more than 4 Amps, and even that is not a good idea. So you would need at least five of them spilled from the power supply.

Basically, you need screw terminal connectors.

Do also remember that you need to feed (power) into your strip every 30 LEDs in any case.

By the 2.5mm jack I meant a 2.5x5.5mm barrel connector, sorry for beeing unclear. Also why would I need to feed power into the strip every 30 leds? I would like to have my strip still portable, I'd like to have it still roll up and be easily transportable with small setup

I am also planning to get a 32x8 ws2812b panel which only has 3 inputs for power

letsgo00:
By the 2.5mm jack I meant a 2.5x5.5mm barrel connector, sorry for being unclear.

Yes, these are used for laptop power connectors at 4 Amps - and 7 Amps supposedly on the USFF machine on which I am typing but the fans are quite quiet and I doubt it is using anything near that - I will measure it later (by a power meter on the mains side). The connector is not warm, but anything beyond 4 Amps is quite an "ask" particularly of the spring connector in the "socket" (male part with the pin). Remember that power increases with the square of the current for any given resistance. You need serious cables for 18 A.

letsgo00:
Also why would I need to feed power into the strip every 30 LEDs? I would like to have my strip still portable, I'd like to have it still roll up and be easily transportable with small setup

Well, you might like that, but the strip uses thin foil traces for the power with significant resistance. How well that would - at the end where you inject power - tolerate 18 A is very dubious to say the least though flat foil does radiate heat better than the same cross sectional area of round conductor.

The point is however that even if the foil does not fuse, there will be a substantial voltage drop along the length, so that when you attempt to display a lot of white, it will turn progressively yellow and orange as well as dim toward the end. This is because the blue LEDs require a higher voltage, so they will be the first to dim as the voltage drops, red the last.

You need to run a heavy cable with 5 V and of course, ground (because an electrical circuit always consists of two wires) along the strip and connect from this cable to the two power foils every 30 LEDs or so because there will be a 1.8 A potential draw at that point. Since the power will feed in both directions, perhaps every 60 LEDs will suffice.

letsgo00:
I am also planning to get a 32x8 ws2812b panel which only has 3 inputs for power

Which three inputs? Presumably each end and halfway along. 15 A. So you need a feeder cable across the back connecting to each of those three. Because the panel is a lattice, the runs are shorter and the current distributed across multiple conductor traces.

Paul__B:
You need to run a heavy cable with 5 V and of course, ground (because an electrical circuit always consists of two wires) along the strip and connect from this cable to the two power foils every 30 LEDs or so because there will be a 1.8 A potential draw at that point. Since the power will feed in both directions, perhaps every 60 LEDs will suffice.

So if I get a 16 or 14 AWG wire with + and - attached to the strip I could in theory still have it roll up. I just dont know where could I find the appropriate power supply for this. I dont want to mess with mains voltage and while I would like to go cheap I’d rather not buy sketchy supplys from china. If you have a recoomendation please let me know

It’s tricky.

At present, virtually all power supplies, as with computers, are made in China (though some computers are assembled in Mexico, Vietnam, Phillipines etc.).

If you are afraid of “sketchy”, best buy your Chinese-made supplies from a reputable dealer in your country - one who has a reputation to protect.

By sketchy I meant the dirt cheap ones on aliexpress, are those any good? also I would still like to have one which has a plug already preinstalled, but I cannot find any of those

Buy a power supply designed for a PC like the one show What is a PSU? What is an ATX Power Supply?

You then buy the mating connectors to it and cut off the ends you don't need and solder those ends to your LEDs.

Make sure that it supplies the 5V 18A you need.

I am doing a similar project so this is helpful. Any comments on the 3pin jst connectors that are found on ws2812b strips? i believe that they are rated for 3a and the strips are 9 watts (30 leds) per meter. Does this mean you should not use more than two in series?? it was mentioned above that 60 leds would be the max.
I am also thinking of using a PC power supply, as suggested above, with a breakout board plugged into the 24 pin connector. Has anyone used this set up for leds?

markcpops:
I am doing a similar project so this is helpful. Any comments on the 3pin JST connectors that are found on ws2812b strips? i believe that they are rated for 3A and the strips are 9 watts (30 LEDs) per meter. Does this mean you should not use more than two in series? it was mentioned above that 60 LEDs would be the max.

Well, the JST connector an the foil in the strip itself are both limitations. You need to feed power in (without interrupting the strip connections, so that power feeds in both directions) every 60 LEDs or so.