What Processor Would Be Best ?

Hello Folks, I am Old But New To The Project World And Dont Want To Spend A Lot Of Time Trying to Learn New Programming Of A Microprocessor If It Wont Work For What I Am Trying To Do, I Need To Program A Processor If Possible To Function In This Way, 6-12 Volt Sensing, When Sensing Voltage Is Dropped It Will Send (300-500 Milli-Second) Pulse A 3-5 Volt Output To One Or Two Sensors From An Auxiliary 6-9 Volt Power Supply (Thinking Lithium Battery For Longevity). Any Best Ideas Would Be Great... Thanks From an OLD Street Rod Guy :D

What's With The Bizarre Capitalization?

6-12 Volt Sensing

0 to 5V on an Arduino. You will nEEd a voltAge DiviDEr.

When Sensing Voltage Is Dropped It Will Send (300-500 Milli-Second) Pulse

That iS poSSiBle.

A 3-5 Volt Output

No. iT wiLl be a 5V outPut.

From An Auxiliary 6-9 Volt Power Supply

What is from the auxiliary power supply?

Sorry if the caps are bizarre but to an old guy trying to learn simple or not so simple programming and micro processors, That said would you recommend a arduino chip, or would you be interested in helping me with this project. I would be willing to compensate someone for their Help ..Thanks

The Arduino is the easiest mocroprocessor/microcontroller for hobbyists! The PIC processor family is also geared toward hobbyists and there are more PIC varieties, but you might have to buy a separate programmer, perhaps buy a complier, and you'd have to construct your own circuit board (or build on a "breadboard"). If you use any other random processor, you'll also probably end-up having to buy a hardware development kit. All of this stuff can get very expensive, and it can take lots of time to get configured and set-up.

With the Arduino, everything is self-contained (you may have to build some extra circuitry) and the sofware development kit is FREE! When I got my Arduinio, I was amazed that I had the "blink LED" example compiled, downloaded, and running in about 10 minutes. With another processor, this set-up, learning, and configuration could take a whole frustrating day!

Have you ever programmed before? Have you programmed in C/C++? In general, I'd say "programming is hard", but simple things like blinking an LED or some simple logic & timing like you want to do isn't too bad. Take a look at the [u]examples[/u] and the [u]language reference[/u] to get an idea of what you can do. Loops (doing things over-and-over) and "making decisions" with if-statements are the most important programming concepts to understand.

I would be willing to compensate someone for their Help ..Thanks

I think you'll find plenty of free help here, as long as you don't expect someone to do the project for you.

Thanks, For the encouragement I ordered one today. I am sure I will be reading and asking questions, once the processor is programmed can I install it to a circuit board or does it need to stay on the Arduino board.

Your partiality for capitalization will work well for programming. It’s common to use
a lot of capitals in function and variable and constant names. Eg, I fully capitalize
constants, and partially capitalize global variables and function names, plus liberally
use underscores,

#define CONST1 0
int TooMuch = 1;

void StartMotor();
int get_BattVolts();

Hoggy1: Thanks, For the encouragement I ordered one today. I am sure I will be reading and asking questions, once the processor is programmed can I install it to a circuit board or does it need to stay on the Arduino board.

Assuming you bought a Uno board where the controller chip is mounted in a DIP socket, then yes you can just remove the chip after you have uploaded your tested and debugged sketch (and buy a $6 replacement chip for your Uno) and install it into your own PCB. That is called running in a standalone mode and lots of information available on how to do that, just search on arduino standalone. You will need a few resistors, caps, a crystal and such to run in standalone mode but it's really pretty simple, lots of people do that and it's one of the strong points of using a DIP based AVR chip.

LeFtY