What sensor output should I choose to work with arduino? (easy answer i hope!!)

warning, complete noobie

Hello,

I'm just new to using Arduino, I plan to use one to save sensor data to an SD card for a project I'll be working on that measures the movement of bike suspension over time.

This is the LVDT displacement sensor I'll be using : http://www.gpsandsensor.com/h-pd-1158-0_304_10_-1.html

Question : After speaking to the company, they said that the output can either be resistance, current or voltage output. If I plan to run 2 of these sensors into the Arduino what output should I choose???

Thanks for the help, any additional information too would be a great help. (I'm a mechanical engineer student, electronics is quite a new concept!!!)

Lewis

As I understand it, the only conversions you have on a native ATMEL processor is a voltage DAC, with input of 0-5V. Current and resistance would need to be converted to voltage, and voltage would need to be amplified/divided to be in the right range.

Can't see the sensor as the web page link requires a login, which I am not going to register for.

Hello all, thanks for your reply I greatly appreciate it.

Apologies for the duff link, I have attached the only data sheet there is for the sensor to this message.

Page 13 of the pdf (or page 12 of the actual document) shows the specifications available for the “WYJ micro hinged type linear displacement sensor” I wish to use. There is no output information I can find, but the options of resistance, current and voltage are available as noted before.

I hope this answers some of your questions. As far as I understand so far, as long as the voltage input isn’t too great for the board it can be used. If not the current or resistance may have to be specified, then transformed to a voltage the board can handle.

I appreciate your time helping, thank you!!

Lewis

Displacement Sensor Catalog.pdf (623 KB)

I don't see a single sign of a wire or connector in that manual. It's really crap, or did I miss something?

My guess and I repeat in bold italics guess is that it's some kind of potentiometer so the output voltage on the wiper wire would vary from 0 to whatever you have on the input so if you use 5V you'll never get more than 5V out and can use that on an Arduino analog pin.

Did I say that's a guess?

Agree with Jimbo.

Thank you very much guys, It is a sliding potentiometer so in theory you will both be correct.

I'll go ahead and order one with a voltage output, I'll post up how it goes.

Thanks again!

lewismurray: I'll go ahead and order one

I'd be inclined to ask for a schematic first....

JimboZA:
I’d be inclined to ask for a schematic first…

Fair point, I’ll email now

Just noticed you have two threads going on this which is not good. Asking mods to merge...

Too much hassle to merge across different sections of the forum, so I've locked the other thread, and awarded a forum time-out, to allow the OP to read the forum guidelines.