What Servo?

OK, I couldn't find any info on what kind of servos to use with the arduino (UNO)

There are two types Digital and Analog

What are the differances when controling them?

Are we talking R/C servos here?

So basicly I can use myservo.write(val) on both types of servos (digital or analog) but the only differance will be that digital servo will be more accurate?

So basicly I can use myservo.write(val) on both types of servos (digital or analog) but the only differance will be that digital servo will be more accurate?

Analog servos are prety straight foward as they are ~simple have been around a long time. Digital servos probably vary from mild to wild. The higher end ones may require special programmers to access the special features. You need to look at the specifications for the one you desire to use. As to "more accurate", carefully read the info provided for the servo to weed out marketing hype.

Digital servos are quicker to react to changes in position. Analog servos will 'vibrate' more under load.

Analog servos are in theory slightly less accurate but in practice, naff all difference normally.

Analog servos generally have lower power requirements for the same holding torque than digital servos.

For most applications, use digital servos. Some servos can only be purchased in one type (HS-785 3.5 turn sail winch servo for example is only analog - not many multi turn digital servos)

Mowcius

Generally a pretty big price difference, so unless you have a specific reason for using a digital servo you are probably better off using standard analog servos.

Lefty

Generally a pretty big price difference, so unless you have a specific reason for using a digital servo you are probably better off using standard analog servos.

Is there much of a difference now?

I thought most of the hobby ones were all digital now. They all seemed to be when I looked (unless they're really cheap ones).

it would appear that digital is only gradually overtaking analog...

Right :)

Well yeah, I think the question has been well and truly answered now :)

Rogy, got what you need?

Mowcius

Yeah :slight_smile:

About the prices the difference is around 30?