What Shield Would Be Most Usefull To You?

Hello All,
Simple question, what shield would be of most use to you?
there are many available right now as complex as you like but what about the basics like high current drivers or even more basic just a RS232 level converter

LCD + Kaypad (4 Keys) - For all menus and interfaces

Swithmode power supply shield,
with the ability to handle main outlet.

Maybe also with 3.3, 5 and 12v outlets. And the arduino feed through vin.

A board with a few essentials on which only uses a couple of pins - so rtc, 16x2 LCD, a couple of buttons and a couple of LEDs. It’d use softserial (I’ve not used it myself yet but I understand it’s just two pins) which you could select by DIP switch so that it doesn’t interfere with other shields.

SMPS is a good idea yes, it does mean the duino it tethered to the mains though, maybe a docking station charger instead with usb so it can be charged and programmed while in the dock, i think the next duino i make will have it’s bus based on the ISA card standard, it would make expansion sields easy to design, no more bent pins

An 8*16 rg led matrix shield. (I’m designing one). So many possibilities… I’m first going to try to use a palm pilot resistive touchscreen to make a 16 step touchscreen chiptune sequencer.
Well, maybe not MOST useful. But up there, since there are so many uses.

Here’s an idea for a potentially awesome shield; I myself wouldn’t buy it, but I bet a ton of others would:

The Lego NXT shield

Basically, it would be a shield that would allow you to easily interface your Arduino with your Lego NXT kit. It should, in some manner, allow you to easily interface to and control/read many more motors and sensors than what the standard NXT brick allows for (which is limited to 3 motors and 4 sensors). Even if it requires a separate breakout board to support enough of the special almost rj12 jacks, it would still be useful. I think, though, that you could fit several jacks on a shield.

Which could lead to another solution - if you made the shield oversized, you could add more jacks, plus you could add an LCD (serial based), and maybe buttons. Throw a library together for easy software development, plus holes on the upper shield sized to fit a standard hole spacing in Lego…

The only potential issue could be Lego themselves + but there are plenty of companies out there that sell sensors for Lego NXT, so maybe it won’t be an issue (yeah right)…

:slight_smile:

sciguy, in case you need some inspiration, here is another 16x8 RG LED shield:

Thanks, but I don’t need any inspiration. I already have the pcb made! I’m proud of it because it’s my first custom pcb. It uses the small rg led matrices, not the medium ones like on the link you posted. Also, two more shift registers are used for the rows, along with 2 uln2803s. I wanted the matrices to be able to be addressed independently.
Right now I am waiting for the parts I ordered to be shipped.

Hopefully it works!

a working SD slot on a ethernet shield :stuck_out_tongue: since they do’nt work :stuck_out_tongue:
with a logic converter 3v to 5v (wrt54g router)

I would love to design a pcb myself for my Reserator XT since the freaking flow meter is shot I’m back on air cooling (have to reset every 5 minutes to avoid powerdown. wich is a pain in the arse since water cooling is pretty quiet.)

• connection for rbg led (that are fitted against the plexie glass to show the temp.
  • offcourse temp controll.
    and other stuff…

Jezus i just realized i need more free time… … and money… :’(

I suppose…
A shield rewire shield, for instance, the LCD keypad shield from DFRobot is a nice shield… but it tends to conflict with other shields, pins-wise.
So a shield that would let you to easily change the pins of the above lying shield… could be interesting.

I suppose…
A shield rewire shield, for instance, the LCD keypad shield from DFRobot is a nice shield… but it tends to conflict with other shields, pins-wise.
So a shield that would let you to easily change the pins of the above lying shield… could be interesting.

agreed that would be nice i made a lcd shield myself and had to resolder the pins like 4 time’s :S i now use 2/9 so i can use the spi for ethernetcard