What should I have purchased?

I am trying to create something to regulate power from a 9V wall wart to power a RN-XV WiFly Module http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822. It requires a 3.3v input. After all the research, I thought I knew what I was doing, and purchased a voltage regulator from digikey http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=497-1492-5-ND&x=12&y=10. Unfortunately when I plugged it in, it started smoking almost immediately. I checked and re-checked and re-checked again. I am sure I had plugged the wall wart into the Vin and GND on the voltage regulator.

So, what should I have purchased for this?

Thanks! Chad

What started smoking? The wall-wart, regulator, or WiFly? Did you put a capacitor at the output of the regulator (I'm pretty sure it needs one else it won't regulate properly).

It's good that you checked and re-checked your connections, but if you had a misconception when you first wired it, chances are good you had the same misconception when you checked it (someone else should be doing the checking!) Perhaps post your wiring diagram so we can have a look.

The parts you selected should have worked.

-- The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

Luckily I didn't have the WiFly hooked up! Wanted to validate the regulated voltage first. You where right of about haveing the same misconception! I had the leads from the regulator to the power buss on the breadboard reversed. So the cap and LED where effectively backward. Not sure why that caused the smoke, but flipped around is working much better! I am reading 7.2 volts of the breadboard power buss. I'm guessing the smoke did some damage.

More likely, the smoke is a symptom of the damage done...

Hopefully you bought more than one at the same time! Given the cost of postage, I typically buy 3 of any part that I find on DigiKey, unless the cost of the part is higher than the cost of the postage :-/

If you let the smoke out of electronics, it stops working. They are little steam engines you know... (classic joke, yes I know...)

When a component starts smoking, it's dead. It might work a bit or for a while but it will fail eventually. That is why when I need one component, I order three at least.

Yea, I did order more than one, just because I didn't want to pay more in postage than I did for parts! And yea, 3.3v on the new component connected to the breadboard the correct way.