What to use for writing a library

I need to write a library for a project I am working on. Where do I do this. I suspect that it is in the Arduino IDE, but it is not immediately obvious how to do that. I thought of using Eclipse but I think that would be over-kill for this. Perhaps Notepad++ might get it done. I have read the tutorials here but they don't seem to address this.

Any enlightenment or suggestions will be appreciated.

Vic

I don't think there's any reason why you can't write it in the Arduino IDE. You will of course need a sketch to exercise it, so it kinda makes sense to have it all in one place.

Cheers,

it took me a while to find the button that's above the main window on the right. Press this and you can create the .h and the . cpp file just name them ###.h or ###.cpp (as well ass just extra tabs which is useful as well) They pop up on new tabs and you put the code in there. If you go to the tutorial on class's on the site it's useful.

I want to thank those who took time to answer my query.

I dug a bit deeper into my version of Notepad++ and discovered that it supported C++ programming. Since I have been a NP++ user for some time now and am comfortable with it, I decided to give it a go for my Arduino library programming.

Vic