What type of Solar Panel for 12V/280W Motor

I'm purchasing an electric sliding gate opener for my parents.

:arrow_right:The motor is 12VOLT DC 280Watt.:arrow_left:

Can someone please help me with a proper recommendation on a solar panel?

I believe the system comes with a battery but just incase, any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated as well.

If it's not too much Trouble, may I have the formula for calculating solar panels, please? Might come in handy should I decide on another model/manufacturer.

Thank you in advance

The motor should get all it’s power from the battery, not from the panel.
The panel is only there to (slowly) re-charge the battery.
Panel size depends on how often you operate the gate, sun hours, your latitude, etc.
Don’t see why you ask this on an Arduino forum though.
The question seems more relevant to a solar forum.
Leo…

The typical roof-mounted solar panel about 1700 x 1000mm can produce around 300W IN FULL SUNLIGHT. So it's not going to directly run your motor unless you only want to use the gate at midday in summer.

The battery type and size is key because you're going to be using a solar panel just to keep the battery charged.

Steve

This JRC website may help with estimating solar energy output

If you are using a lead-acid battery (which seems likely for this project) you MUST ensure that it gets a very full charge every week. Otherwise the battery will degenerate very quickly. If winter skies are cloudy where you are it may be difficult to achieve that in winter without an occasional mains-powered re-charge - or a very large solar panel.

...R

figmentfx:
I'm purchasing an electric sliding gate opener for my parents.

:arrow_right:The motor is 12VOLT DC 280Watt.:arrow_left:

Can someone please help me with a proper recommendation on a solar panel?

I believe the system comes with a battery but just incase, any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated as well.

If it's not too much Trouble, may I have the formula for calculating solar panels, please? Might come in handy should I decide on another model/manufacturer.

Thank you in advance

The solar panel you use depends on the battery charge controller. Does your gate controller include a battery charge controller? Mine does and the instructions tell the voltage and current values for the solar panel. Please read the instructions that come with the gate.

Paul

slipstick:
The typical roof-mounted solar panel about 1700 x 1000mm can produce around 300W IN FULL SUNLIGHT. So it's not going to directly run your motor unless you only want to use the gate at midday in summer.

And its also not going to directly run the motor at all because the voltage is far too high and the current far too low, such panels are 72 cells in series, yielding about 36V 5.5A.

PV panels are not good voltage sources either, much closer to a current source, which doesn't help.