What will the correct relay and resistor be...?

Hey everybody...

Need some help to pick the right components...

The voltage rating you are reading is the coil voltage, not the output contact maximum voltage, which is usually hundreds of volts. You should pick the 5V type.

The LDR resistor value often has to be chosen by experiment, since LDR specs and lighting conditions vary. You have wired the LDR incorrectly. The Arduino input should be connected to the junction of the LDR and the resistor. I hate screwy Fritzing diagrams, so I'm not going to try to further analyze what you actually have there. I think it is just a missing wire.

@aarg

So if I understand you correctly, I shouldn't think of the output from the 24v power supply but from the outlet instead of which it the 5v...?

Yeah you are right, missed a wire... thank you for picking that one up... And thank you for clarifying 10k vs 100k resistor... so as more resistance as more dark/light I need...?

My power supply says input:100-240V AC. 50/60hz...

Measure the resistances of the LDR in the actual situation it is to operate in, select a resistor than roughly matches the LDR resistance that's mid-range.