What wireless feature to use? Want to wireless-ize old game controllers

Early game controllers were simple but most of the game consoles of the era (pre-NES) did not have wireless capability. Atari 2600 did have em but they were bulky, power guzzler, and probably no longer complies with current FCC rules.

I want to use Arduino to read controller inside (with battery) the switch contacts (5 for Atari 2600 and keypad matrix plus 2 or 3 buttons for Intellivision and Colecovision), send them over wireless to the console that has receiver and decode the signal into 7 or 8 pin connector for controllers (9th pin are always ground on the 3 consoles)

What is the right wireless module that is strictly one way, doesn't use existing internet or network but rather a emitter and receiver pair. Failing that IR LED but that'd require line of sight.

Something like the nrf2401 devices would be adequate with eg a pro-mini - and they're very cheap!

Allan

How about bluetooth? This kind of situation is exactly what it's designed for.

This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest.

All the usage of Bluetooth with Arduinos that I have seen has used Serial communication and I suspect that a pair of nRF24s would have faster throughput.

For working with Bluetooth have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R

Thanks for the info!

FCC requirements only apply to the time the device was MANUFACTURED! Not for ever and ever!

Paul

FCC can require older device to be changed or discontinued. Up until a few years ago, the store I worked at had walkie talkies but it used older frequency and wide bandwidth something like 5MHz slice per channel. It was banned and people who still had it had to change it or retire it before deadline or risk fine from FCC. Because when new devices are released using new rule, old device may interfere with new devices.