What Wires to Use for my Project

Hey all!

I am not familiar at all on how to use my Arduino, but I am excited and willing to learn! Currently, I am using Arduino in my physics project for "Punch Activated Arm Flamethrowers", but I am unsure of what wires I should use here (ex 18 AWG, 20 AWG, etc.).

All depends on the current requirements. From the video, the wires may need to be extra flexible, meaning the insulation is very pliable and the wire has many fine strands.

How is your soldering skill?

Paul

@Paul_KD7HB
In this project, we are using a 12V DC solenoid valve and a 1000 mAh 20C lipo pack. Would you have any suggestions for a wire that fits your criteria?
Personally, I've never done soldering before, but I do have group members who have done it.

NoobFireBender:
@Paul_KD7HB
In this project, we are using a 12V DC solenoid valve and a 1000 mAh 20C lipo pack. Would you have any suggestions for a wire that fits your criteria?
Personally, I've never done soldering before, but I do have group members who have done it.

Your response contains no values for the current used by your devices. Without knowing that you cannot determine anything about the wires necessary to connect the parts. Once you have determined the current requirements, you can use any of the online tables of wire current carrying capacity to pick the wire size you need.

Paul

If you assume the current will be <= 1000ma I think you will find the size of the wire is not your limitation. You will need wire that is strong enough to deal with the movement etc.

I’ve used this wire before and have been very pleased with the flexibility. Silicone Wire

This wire consists of > 50 very small strands and is extremely flexible. The silicone insulation flexes easily as well making the wire almost “limp”.
Personally I love this wire, it is so much more flexible than the standard 19 strand in PVC. Working with it i a small housing is a breeze.

I would suggest going no smaller than 22 AWG and likely 20 AWG might be better.