What wires to use ?

Hello everyone, I will be doing my first project soon. I will be doing a DIY midi flute. The problem here is that i have only jumper wires / breadboard wires and i would like to do a permanent project and i don't know what type of cables to solder to my 3rd party Arduino. Since the flute will be held horizontally, it has to be very lightweight and long wires. Any suggestions on what cables should I use? Or should I solder just really loong jumper wires?

Thanks ^_^

First things first: What kind of signals need to go over the cable, and how long will they be? Just saying "long wires" isn't enough, it matters how long.

Well, most of them will be from buttons to an arduino, one will be with a little microphone. and the max lenght should be max. 1.3 meters.

I can see we have to drag each piece of information bit by bit!

OK, how many signals of each type, is power needed to go along the cable, etc etc.

I would advise using a connector of some sort at one end, so each end can be separately tested, but that might be over complicated.

Without knowing how many signals I'd be tempted to say some sort of screened multicore signal cable (although these are fiddly to solder as the wires are usually thin).

Hmm, well,
i’ve not planned it yet.
I’m still on my breadboard, coding and waiting my banggood delivery ^^
But thanks ^^

Not planned yet but asking for definitive answers is not the right way around ;).

Anyways, tell us what you have on the breadboard so far and what you are waiting on from online shop and we might be able to help.

I have been using old cat5 cables a lot. I like the flexible cables most. Some of the non flexible are not easy to solder it looks like the copper wires are covered in some kind of insulation.

MarkT: I can see we have to drag each piece of information bit by bit!

Not really. It's a flute. People have ten fingers, and arms of fairly predictable length. Also, the typical musical scale has 12 tones. Thus around 12 buttons, maybe a few more for trills and/or octave selection. When a flute is held to the side, the max length from lips to finger tips is, what, around 2.5 to 3 feet?

I would just get some CAT5 cable, strip the jacket off, separate the twisted pairs and cut them to length. Maybe put ground on one of the wires, of a twisted pair, and short to ground, at the switches -- an open would be a HIGH, and closed would be a LOW. Then, at the Arduino end, try software pull-ups, and if that's too noisy, use external pull-ups right at the Arduino pins, of say 4.7k. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

On my breadboard, I have 11 of these https://www.banggood.com/fr/50pcs-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-Tact-Cap-Assorted-Kit-12x12x7_3mm-Key-Caps-p-1007178.html?rmmds=myorder

I may add some to complete the flute layout if needed. I am waiting for some gear, protoboard,a mic, and the components to drive it ^^

tho i am still figuring out the code.

The buttns i'l add will probably be two trills and maybe 2 or 3 buttons more, depending on how the final design will be ^^

And, @ReverseEMF, I want to recreate a flute layout as close to the original as possible (that's why it will have a mic, for the mouthpiece), so, the notes will be created by the combinations of some keys, like a real flute( imma experienced flute player btw )

For low current/voltage wiring: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=wire+assortment&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wire+assortment+24Awg&_sacat=0

For flexibility, use stranded ~24AWG wires.

larryd:
For flexibility, use stranded ~24AWG wires.

Why stranded since once laid, no movement. But, if stranded is a must, All Electronics has a good selection at a decent price – and I like 26AWG:

Eric-Vitesse: And, @ReverseEMF, I want to recreate a flute layout as close to the original as possible (that's why it will have a mic, for the mouthpiece), so, the notes will be created by the combinations of some keys, like a real flute( imma experienced flute player btw )

I'm a sorta flute player ;)

Also, I'm curious to know how the mic is going to work. I would think a pressure sensor, like:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3965

But, then, it might not be sensitive enough to detect a change in pressure due to bernoulli effect from air blown across an aperture.

Will it be a breath noise trigger sort of thing?

ReverseEMF: Why stranded since once laid, no movement. But, if stranded is a must, All Electronics has a good selection at a decent price -- and I like 26AWG:

IMHO: Solid wire has very little advantage. Small nicks in a conductor can weaken the physical strength of that conductor and is almost always where breaks occur.

After many years of working with and designing electronic equipment I follow one major design rule when it comes to circuit wiring. Use stranded wire in all harnesses and for circuit connections.

Stranded wires are forgiving as the individual stands, being of small gauge, resist breakage. Losing one or two strands doesn't usually compromise a wire's strength.

With proper tools, you can strip stranded wires as easily as solid wires. Properly tinning stranded wires is an easy task and helps in the final soldering of a circuit connection.

Three caveats: I use both tinned stranded and solid wire in a solder-less breadboard. When it comes to wire wrapping, solid wire is used. When it comes time to repair circuit board traces or add modifications, solid wire such as #30 AWG wire wrap wire is used.

But, you can stick with solid wire if needed, be aware there may be some wire breakage especially if things are moved.

Thank you all ^^

@ReverseEMF I thaught about a pressure sensor but i don't know how to use them ^^

I thaught mapping velocity to decibel number, but mabe i'l try both and see witch is the best

Oddly enough wire is a highly personal thing.

For what you described I would suggest the wire from below link. It is really flexible and almost limp. The strands are very fine and there are a lot of them (I stopped at~ 40 strands in the wire I purchased). This compared to the typical 7 strands makes the silicone wire highly flexible and more reliable in an application where it is flexed regularly.

Another benefit is the insulation will survive at high temperature. I've found my soldered connections look much neater because the insulation does not melt back.

Note: Whether a wire is 1 strand (solid wire), 7 strands, 19 strands or more, Wires of the same AWG size will have the same resistance / foot.

Silicone wire

Eric-Vitesse:
Thank you all ^^

@ReverseEMF I thaught about a pressure sensor but i don’t know how to use them ^^

I thaught mapping velocity to decibel number, but mabe i’l try both and see witch is the best

I purchased the following pressure sensor to experiment with for a midi wind instrument I plan to make. Mine will be blown like a Saxophone, though. The beauty of it is, it’s all set up to interface with something like an Arduino. Another beauty is Adafruit provides a LOT of support!

I plan to tee it off a venturi.
I’ve got a bunch of other projects to finish, though, so it may be awhile :o

larryd: But, you can stick with solid wire if needed, be aware there may be some wire breakage especially if things are moved.

See, that's the point...I talking about cases where there will be NO movement. But, actually, I agree with you. Stranded is better. I was just offering a simple, cheap, available solution -- I mean, CAT5 wire is easy to find, cheap to buy, and easy to work with [try threading stranded wire into a micro-mini switch terminal hole]! But, it's a minor point. Go with stranded. Whoopie!!

Yah, sure, i don't see me doing a venturi effect thing in my flute espessialy that it will be almost the size of a real flute. But still interested tho. How precise pressure changes can it detect ?

Eric-Vitesse: Yah, sure, i don't see me doing a venturi effect thing in my flute espessialy that it will be almost the size of a real flute. But still interested tho. How precise pressure changes can it detect ?

I don't know. I haven't played with it, yet. But, since it has a fairly wide range [0-25PSI] I'm thinking not much.

Hmmmm, i'll go for the mic the, any other more precise pressure sensors to suggest ? :) :)

Hi,

I’ve worked on some pressure sensors for automotive and I think the sensor used in the tank leak sensor might be ideal for your use.

1. they have a low pressure range
  2. they can measure + and - pressure which you would need to sense the output of a wind instrument

I can’t attest to the frequency response. I’m most familiar with the GM sensor but I would expect most mfg are similar based on the needs of the measurement they are making.

You might be able to find one in a junk yard.

OBD-II Pressure.gif