Whats are the holes on this relay for?

Hi,

I've got a relay (http://www.logictoyz.com/development-board/ad-019-5v-10a-relay-module-single-1-channel-mini-relay-module-for-arduino-avr-pic-.html and I'm not sure what the 3 inputs are for (Not the low voltage pins).

I've got a live wire from a light switch going in to the end two and thought the first one might be for an earth wire but wasn't sure and didn't know how to test.

(deleted)

You are wiring it improperly if you are using the two end terminals. And as your light is most likely household AC voltage you are in some danger trying to learn as you go. Learn to use the relay with low voltage DC until you understand the NO/C/NC contacts and how they are used in your external circuit.

Thanks!

I also had a read of How To Wire A Relay to learn a bit more about relays.

retrolefty is almost certainly right, since the common would logically be in the middle: the end ones then would never connect with each other.

There should be some markings though, either the no/c/nc as suggested or perhaps a diagram showing the part inside that moves- the lever thingy- and the one it hinges on is the common.

I think he means he is hooked up to either NO and C or NC and C, and wondering what the other connection (either C or NC) is used for. I don't think he means he spanned over the C and connected the NO and NC together

kd7eir:
I don't think he means he spanned over the C and connected the NO and NC together

I've got a live wire from a light switch going in to the end two