What's the best library for a MAX7456?

I’ve been thinking about ways to simplify the use of a MAX7456 on-screen display. The most popular way currently is to use a library, a special sketch, a separate config file, and a terminal app (e.g. hyperterm) to change the character set on the MAX7456 so that the character set matches ASCII just to prepare the thing.

It might be easier to just use the default character set, but that adds code to the library (and increases resource utilization on the Arduino’s ATmega).

So, what’s your preference? Stick with what we’ve got? Just use the device as it comes from Maxim, with the bit of extra RAM and flash that entails? Maybe find a way to change the character set a bit more easily? Add support for both in the library?

I’m not promising anything, but I was sufficiently interested to repackage and expand a bit on dfraser and zitron’s work. I might get motivated to do a bit more. :slight_smile:

-j

I have a project where I will be using a MAX7456 in a couple of weeks. Deciding what library to use is a consideration.
If you are making an library that makes this easy to use then I’d be ost interested.

Take Care
Dave

Check out this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220054359/0#0

My current library can be found at http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/avr/MAX7456_lib.tar.gz

Currently you’ve got to use a sketch and file (provided in the replies to that first post) to reprogram the character set in the 7456. After that you can use my library, which is derived from the code in that series of posts.

I was kicking around ways to make using the device easier, and this poll was to solicit opinions from other users on the best way to go about it.

-j

Scalability would be a good feature, multiple 7456 devices on 1 arduino.
:slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!

Scalability would be a good feature, multiple 7456 devices on 1 arduino.

That’s already in my library, although not yet tested. Just specify the slave select pin in the begin() call.

I just put together my second shield, so theoretically I have enough hardware to test that now.

-j