what's this phenomenon called?

Placing batteries in series no problem… add the voltages.

But when you use ground between the 2 voltages we get a voltage shift, anyone know the name of this?

I'd love to help but I don't understand the question :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't think it has a name.

All voltages are relative to whatever you label as "ground". That's the reason we tie grounds together when there's more then one power supply.

I think I understand the question then: You do still add the voltages: it's just that the battery below your mid-point ground has its -ve end below that mid-point so it measures negative.

It's really the same as when you measure one cell in your hand: put the leads on the wrong way round and the meter shows the cell has -ve voltage.

cjdelphi:
But when you use ground between the 2 voltages we get a voltage shift, anyone know the name of this?

Bipolar Power Supplies

Never come across that name before. I always knew them as single ended and split power supplies.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory of electronics class at school I recall there is a name for this.

Others suggested "bipolar", "split power supply" or "single ended power supply"

I'm pretty sure it's at least one of those I remember :slight_smile:

Bipolar Power Supplies

Can you cure those with lithium batteries?

I’ll get me coat.

There is no phenomenon, its an artifact of how your software displays all voltages
relative to ground (its conceptual multimeter's negative lead is connected to ground).

Remember there is only one circuit with 4 batteries, since ground connects them.

AWOL:

Ha! You got in there before me. Well played!

{Quite effective, but not very popular nowadays. I don’t recall prescribing lithium for about ten years.}

You can also call it a battery "tap", that is what we call it in the systems I work with. Our "battery" has taps at 25, 12, 6.8, 3.6 and -5 volts - and maybe some others I do not know about.

(deleted)

AWOL:

Bipolar Power Supplies

I’ll get me coat.

haha… “I” laughed at least…

I needed that!

AWOL:

Bipolar Power Supplies

LOL!

Hi.

Our "battery" has taps at 25, 12, 6.8, 3.6 and -5 volts - and maybe some others I do not know about.

Showing our age KiethRB, a grid bias battery, used to neg bias transistors that glow in a glass bottle.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

I am old enough to have worked with vacuum tubes, but the battery I am describing is for a current system.

vacuum tubes

They were called "valves" in English.

Hollow State!

cjdelphi:
Placing batteries in series no problem.. add the voltages.

symmetrical power supply (that's how it is called in french)

lool, Awol XD