When does loop() time affect servo performance?

When does loop() time affect servo performance?

The calculations in my loop -there are lots of them - take about 21000us ± 700us to complete. It seems they are the source of my chunky servo action and yet a manual delay of this same time does not produce this effect. Is it the variance in the loop time? I am using the <servo.h> library and perhaps it planned on servos getting info faster than every 22ms. or on a more regular basis. I would greatly appreciate some guidance to smooth out this action.

I couldn’t not include all the code (over 9000 characters), of the 6 servos, I have included two representatives. It runs as shown, the loop as shown here takes about 5600us ±250us and is still jittery. the pot input is A0 servo out is pin ~9

//this program takes in inital stewart platfrom parameters anlong with 6 inputs (Pitch, Roll, Yaw, TransX, TransY, TransZ) and calcualtes the appropriate angles for 6 servos.

//this is the library used to communicate with the servos
        #include <Servo.h>
//this is a vareable that will be used to time how long the code takes to execute a loop. as I write this it takes 22,000ms
        unsigned int Time = 0;
        int Printing = 1;
//this section initalizes the servos as object which have access to the Servo.h library
        Servo ServoA1;
        Servo ServoA2;

//this section names the read pints for each Pot so that they can be used more easily
        int const PotA1 = A0;
        int const PotA2 = A1;

//these vareabels will take on the readings of the 6 pots and will be mapped to an appropriate input value.
        int InputA1;
        int InputA2;  

//these are the inital parameters that define the structure of the stewart platform.  they will stay constant 
        float BaseRad = 10;
        float BaseEdge = 12.5;
        float PlatRad = 9;
        float PlatEdge = 10;
        float PlatHeight = 6.8;
        float ArmLen = 5;
        float RodLen = sqrt(pow((PlatRad*cos(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad)))-(BaseRad*cos(-asin((BaseEdge/2)/BaseRad))),2)+pow((PlatRad*sin(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad)))-(-BaseEdge/2+ArmLen),2)+pow(PlatHeight,2));

//these are the 6 inputs.  They are defined here but they will be recalcuated when the program runs
        float Pitch = 0;
        float Roll = 0;
        float Yaw = 0;
        float TransX = 0;
        float TransY = 0;
        float TransZ = 0;

//These are teh base points, they will stay constant though the process.
        float BA1x = BaseRad*cos(-asin((BaseEdge/2)/BaseRad));
        float BA1y = BaseRad*sin(-asin((BaseEdge/2)/BaseRad));
        float BA1z = 0;
        float BA2x = BaseRad*cos(asin((BaseEdge/2)/BaseRad));
        float BA2y = BaseRad*sin(asin((BaseEdge/2)/BaseRad));
        float BA2z = 0;

//These are the platform points, they will be calcuated in the loop and will be used in conjuction with the base points to determine the servo angles
        float PA1x;
        float PA1y;
        float PA1z;
        float PA2x;
        float PA2y;
        float PA2z;      

//thse are the 6 servo angles
        float SA1;
        float SA2;  

//this is the setup where the serial connection is established and the servos are initialized to their corresponding pins
        void setup() {
        ServoA1.attach(9,650,1850);     
        Serial.begin(9600);
        }

//this is the sign function but I may not need this for my program to run
        int sign(float val){
           if(val<0)return -1;
           if (val>=0)return 1;
        }

//this funciton formats information that is shown on the serialmonitor.  it displays the 6 angles and has three more outputs that can be used
        void Print(){
            if(Printing = 1){          
                Serial.print("pot: ");
                Serial.print(InputA1,4);
                Serial.print("\t");
                Serial.print("Mapped Z: ");
                Serial.println(map(InputA1, 0, 1023, 300, -300)*.01,4);

Serial.print("SA1: ");
                Serial.print(SA1,4);
                Serial.print("\t");
                Serial.print("add 90: ");
                Serial.println(SA1+90,4);

Serial.print("mapped: ");
                Serial.print(map(SA1+90,0,180,2,131));
                Serial.print("\t");
                Serial.print("time: ");
                Serial.println(Time);

}     
        }

//this is where all the servo angles are calcuated.  They requrie that the platfom coordinates also be calcualted
        void loop() {

//this starts the loop timer
        Time = micros();

//collect all the potentiometer readings
        InputA1 = analogRead(PotA1);

//map all the poentiometer readins to the corresponding input values

TransZ = map(InputA1, 0, 1023, 300, -300)*.01;

//this section uses the input values to calcuate the platform coordinates.  organized into x y and z components.
        PA1x = cos(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Roll))*PlatRad*cos(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))+(cos(radians(Yaw))*sin(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))-sin(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Pitch)))*PlatRad*sin(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))+TransX;
        PA2x = cos(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Roll))*PlatRad*cos(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))+(cos(radians(Yaw))*sin(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))-sin(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Pitch)))*PlatRad*sin(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))+TransX;

PA1y = PlatRad*cos(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*sin(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Roll))+PlatRad*sin(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*(sin(radians(Yaw))*sin(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))+cos(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Pitch)))+TransY;
        PA2y = PlatRad*cos(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*sin(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Roll))+PlatRad*sin(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*(sin(radians(Yaw))*sin(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))+cos(radians(Yaw))*cos(radians(Pitch)))+TransY;

PA1z = PlatRad*cos(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*-sin(radians(Roll))+PlatRad*sin(-asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*cos(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))+PlatHeight+TransZ;
        PA2z = PlatRad*cos(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*-sin(radians(Roll))+PlatRad*sin(asin((PlatEdge/2)/PlatRad))*cos(radians(Roll))*sin(radians(Pitch))+PlatHeight+TransZ;

//This section uses the all the existing parameters and coordinates to calcuate the servo angles
        SA1 = degrees(asin(((pow(PA1x-BA1x,2)+pow(PA1y-BA1y,2)+pow(PA1z,2)+pow(ArmLen,2)-pow(RodLen,2))/(2*ArmLen))/sqrt(pow(cos(radians(90))*(PA1x-BA1x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA1y-BA1y),2)+pow(PA1z,2)))+atan(PA1z/(cos(radians(90))*(PA1x-BA1x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA1y-BA1y))))-90*sign(cos(radians(90))*(PA1x-BA1x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA1y-BA1y));
        SA2 = degrees(-asin(((pow(PA2x-BA2x,2)+pow(PA2y-BA2y,2)+pow(PA2z,2)+pow(ArmLen,2)-pow(RodLen,2))/(2*ArmLen))/sqrt(pow(cos(radians(90))*(PA2x-BA2x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA2y-BA2y),2)+pow(PA2z,2)))+atan(PA2z/(cos(radians(90))*(PA2x-BA2x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA2y-BA2y))))-90*sign(cos(radians(90))*(PA2x-BA2x)+sin(radians(90))*(PA2y-BA2y))+180;

//this section directs the servos to their required positions
// Notes: this section probably needs to be tweaked
        ServoA1.write(map(SA1+90,0,180,131,2));

//this stops the loop timer
        Time = micros()-Time;

//the infomation for this cycle is printed ont he serial monitor using the Print() function which was defined earlier;
        Print();  

//this sets the delay so that you can reed the serial monitor information (since it loops so fast that its hard to read if you dont slow it down)  
        delay(20);
        }

if(Printing = 1){I'd love to see the rest of the code, preferably after auto-format.

You can post a large .ino file as an attachment.

...R

Servo is interrupt driven. The only way you’re going to mess that up with too much code somewhere is if you have a higher priority interrupt that is taking too long. The amount of code in loop won’t affect them at all.

The "interrupt driven" is a good info. Maybe the fact that the interrupt time and calculation times are slightly out of sync: (22ms-21ms vs interrupt of 20ms) and line up once every 5-10 interrupt cycles means that one out of 5-10 interrupts receives no change in value and creates a hiccup. Is there a way to test this hypothesis. Or perhaps its ridiculous.

Sallen: Is there a way to test this hypothesis. Or perhaps its ridiculous.

Post your program as requested in Reply #2

Without seeing the program everything is a hypothesis.

...R

I was having trouble with interrupts and servo pulses. I used the servotimeTimer1 library and it helped my issues. Uses hardware timer1 and only works on pin 9 and 10.

http://playground.arduino.cc/ComponentLib/Servotimetimer1

alka:
I used the servotimeTimer1 library and it helped my issues

My guess is that the OP has some more serious problem with his program which prevents the normal Servo library from working properly and he really ought to fix that rather than work around it.

…R