When I plug in the USB and wait for Windows to begin its driver installation pr

I can't find the answer to this in troubleshooting: If I'm not wording this right, please help me with that! When I plug in the USB and wait for Windows to begin its driver installation process, it doesn’t do anything Here are the instructions and my results. “Plug in your board and wait for Windows to begin it's driver installation process. After a few moments, the process will fail, despite its best efforts.” It doesn’t do that. I have left it hooked up for 30 minutes with nothing to indicate anything has happened. Because I’ve never seen what should happen and its not that clear what should happen. Like is a window suppose to come up and tell me it failed? Sense nothing happened and I don’t know what to do, I went on to complete the process.

“Click on the Start Menu, and open up the Control Panel.

While in the Control Panel, navigate to System and Security. Next, click on System. Once the System window is up, open the Device Manager.

Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)"

There’s no port named “Arduino UNO (Comxx). So I can’t go on to the next step to update the Driver software

“Right click on the "Arduino UNO (COmxx)" port and choose the "Update Driver Software" option.”

“ Next, choose the "Browse my computer for Driver software" option.”

“Finally, navigate to and select the Uno's driver file, named "ArduinoUNO.inf", located in the "Drivers" folder of the Arduino Software download (not the "FTDI USB Drivers" sub-directory).”

Thanks for any advice, Gene

:~

Unfortunately, Windows shows "Unknown" devices in the Device Manager differently based on the version of the OS.

The easiest way to tell which unknown device to install the drivers is to follow these steps: 1. Make sure the Arduino is disconnected from the system. 2. Open the Device Manger by following the steps you already indicated earlier. 3. Connect the Arduino to the system, watch the Device Manger. You should see a new device show up in the list. It might show up under Uknown devices or something like that. 4. Once you have identified which device is the Arduino in the list, follow the remaining steps to install the driver 5. “Right click on the "Arduino UNO (COmxx)" port and choose the "Update Driver Software" option.” 6. “ Next, choose the "Browse my computer for Driver software" option.” 7. “Finally, navigate to and select the Uno's driver file, named "ArduinoUNO.inf", located in the "Drivers" folder of the Arduino Software download (not the "FTDI USB Drivers" sub-directory).”